Williams Transport (Greta NB)

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by itaff, Nov 8, 2016.

1. itaff

itaff Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    So after a short brake at home from running for Bruenger out of Wichita, KS a Road Runner Affiliate, I have filled out an application and start at Williams Transport on 11/14/16 Monday morning.

As I was looking around and talking to different company's I came accross an add on Craig's list for Williams.. I called the number and Randy Williams answered.. He told me he use to own R&M back before Roadrunner bought the company, and that he was board and was ready to start a new small company.

Now I have meet R&M drivers on the road a few years back and they always said they liked Randy and that they misssed him. So as I now have accidentally stumbled across this old school legend what he said had my attention.. he then told me he prefer I just come to Omaha and we meet person to person man to man...

So within a week, I drove for two hours up to Omaha and met with him. We sat and we talked for approximately an hour, he introduced me to his family and staff. After meeting him and being treated like a friend, I decided that I would give him a shot..

Nothing fancy offered, no bonuses or promises of lollipops and rainbows.. told me he would start me off at .40 a mile, primarily run Nebraska to West Coast or Texas...

I head down on Monday the 14th 2016, and I'll let you know how this goes.. I am doing this as a company driver, not a Least driver..

So wish me luck!!

Kasper42, rabbiporkchop, RERM and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CoyoteExpress

CoyoteExpress Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Carlingford NB Canada
    Eh there is no Greta in NB

4. itaff

itaff Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Woke up drove back up here to Williams Trucking about 8 miles west of Omaha (Behind the Flying J).

Today and part of tomorrow will be orientation, so far consist of basic paperwork. They also sent my to get my UA done at Medical Enterprize off of Hwy 680 in Omaha.. They provide a company vehicle to run around in and also will buy your lunches..

Tonight or tomorrow will be a road test, and finish a few little things.. They paid for me to stay at the Super 8 on the other side of the Hwy..

So far pretty nice folks, I am sure that I have been offered coffee about 7 times today.. All most everyone here is related and they seem to get along pretty good..

I will post a little more tonight..

Kasper42 and kantcallit Thank this.
  5. itaff

itaff Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Sorry Gretna, NE.. silly auto correct..

6. itaff

itaff Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    So it was a pretty easy day.. I will have to learn how to use omnitrack (I guess no big deal). Was issued a tablet that has 1gb of date for electronic logs.. It also has goggle maps with it so that's a pulse..

I am going to work for Williams Trucking, but drive for a man named Jim Hill (Related to the Hills Bro Trucking). He owned a few trucks and has 2 or 3 leases here and a few others leases to some other company. Jim will pay me direct from what he gets paid.. Jim seems nice enough, took the 2016 Frightliner I'm getting in and had all the fluids changed, tires aligned and had the Blue Beacon wash it.. The truck only has 26000, so I guess he must love his equipment.. Better make sure I take care of it!!

Tomorrow I'll hook a trailer to it and do the road test ( I hope I can drive it it'll be my first automatic ) lol...

I guess the company just ordered new Kenworths so I'll be an easy person to spot driving a blue Freightliner.. lol

It's strange to look in there lot and see Bruenger, R&M and Sorintinoe Trailers. Williams lot use to be leased to R&M and they are still leasting the shop so I see a few trailers I recognize.. lol.

The Dispatchers asked what lanes I like, they said they work hard to keep you in the lanes you like.. I hope to maybe just run California and back for a while and get some miles and money built up...

As far as getting paid, your work week ends on Friday and you get paid on Wensday.. I'll get paid on Friday because Jim gets paid first then he will pay me..

Well any questions let me know..

7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I've been around OMAHA trucking for many years and have never heard anyone say a bad word about Randy but do know he will run your tail off....as for Jim hill we some history going back to the 90s when I was at hill bros and he's a good guy but he had a hell of a temper and one day ripped his office apart lol.
    That was many years ago tho and I'm sure Jim has mellowed out as have i.

Kasper42 and itaff Thank this.
  8. rmacjr

rmacjr Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Yeah I used to run for Randy back in2009 at R/M, ran a lot to southern CA.
    Are you guys allow owner ops or company drivers?

itaff Thanks this.
  9. itaff

itaff Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I was joking around with him talking about running my tail off.. lol // he said he sure wishes they could run like they did back in the old days.. but he did say that'll keep me busy ..

Sounds like for the most part that the sons are in charge now. Kind a looks like he's more or less sitting here tailoring them, and helping them out . Tim and Caleb are the son in law and son and worked at RM as a dispatcher.. both very pleasant, and I've had multiple conversations with throughout orientation ...

So far the orientation has been pretty pleasant can't wait to get on the road and see what it's like..

Bumper and bzinger Thank this.
  10. itaff

itaff Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2013

Asked Randy and he told me company drivers, Least Drivers and Owner Operators with own authority or without..

So knowing that I would be asked the question, I asked details about all aspects.

Of course company driver is .40 cents a mile to start..

Least will be a 40 / 60 split after fuel and insurance and other bills are paid. The 60% goes in a account to pay for the truck and 40% goes to the driver.. I think I might have to do the math later on this to figure out how it works out..

Owner Operators with own authority is 80% and 100% fuel surcharge.. He also pays the lumper and refer fees.. With his authority he pays $1.10 a all miles..

I think that covers everything thus far..

Does .40 cents all mile as a company driver seem good? I hope so, If I can get 3000 to 3500 miles a week that should be a pretty good week.. ?

11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Yeah I knew some owner ops there years ago and they ran pretty hard until Nebraska dot came in for a party.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.