Window tint law possible change

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 86scotty, Feb 9, 2019.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    There is another recent thread on this but I thought my experience was worth sharing. It cleared up a thing or two for me.

This thread has a lot of info and is pretty recent:

Is Window Tinting a Magnet for DOT?

I even posted on that thread saying I wasn't worried about my tint and had never been bothered. Karma's a #####.

I got pulled over last Friday at the TN/KY line by a KY DOT guy. He was actually super cool. Gave me a quick level 3 and didn't check my log, which had lots of PC on it this week. He simply asked if my log was caught up and of course I said yes.

When he walked up to the truck he had a window tint meter in his hand and said the law had changed recently to where CMV's could not have any tint on side windows due to a surge in fatalities? BS, but whatever. What I'm pointing out here is that he said the law had 'recently changed' so watch your butts out there. He did not say whether it was just KY where I was, so who knows.

Also this, I mentioned he was pretty cool. After all of my docs checked out he came back to the truck and said "I tell all O/O's this. If you want to keep your tint go to a doctor and get a note saying you need it for glare or whatever and always keep the note in your truck." Super nice of him to do that. I had heard this of course but never knew if it was BS or not.

I called my eye doctor right away and had a note the next day. My doctor was real careful with his wording in the note where it basically gives me the pass I need without him being liable.

So, it can be done. I'll see if I get hassled more before I decide to pull it off or not.

D.Tibbitt and SimpleTrucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I would ask for the chapter and verse of the new law in the book. As far as I know we were/are allowed to block 30% of the light. I do see a lot of trucks that are flipped the other way though lol, they block 70%.

Opendeckin and PE_T Thank this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I would like to know too but I had an appointment to get to and he was helpful enough. I don't like sitting there with a DOT cop in my cab any longer than I have to. Maybe someone here will know.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  5. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    I’d block 95% of the light coming into my cab, if i could get away with it.

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    My car window already blocks 22 % on it's own without tint.

Did he say what percentage yours was?

7. Ed MacLane

Ed MacLane Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I don't know if this is mentioned in the thread linked to in the first post of this thread... so sorry if this was already covered:
    393.60 Question 1: May windshields and side windows be tinted?
    Guidance: Yes, as long as the light transmission is not restricted to less than 70 percent of normal (refer to the American Standards Association publication Z26.1-1966 and Z26.1a-1969).
    Regulations Section
    I'm thinking that an interstate CMV that complies with the FMCSA can't be penalized under a state law except for when that state is the home state of the CMV.
    Here's an old Overdrive article FMCSA OKs window tinting

RubyEagle and PE_T Thank this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Tint regulations vary widely by state and you better think again if you think some state cop is going to let an arcane FMCSA reg overrule his state reg. If you want trouble and attention tint your windows. If you have the time and money to waste arguing your case that tint us ok after a ticket, go for it. I had 20% on the side windows of a company ride many years ago and never got busted. But I wouldn't dream of tinting the windows on my rig. I wish I could because all of our personal vehicles are dark and actually illegal but I dont want the possible scrutiny of it with my rig.

x1Heavy, Drake.r, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Ed MacLane

Ed MacLane Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Whether someone thinks the rule is arcane or not is irrelevant. Of course, I'm only referring to legal tinting. If the tint is legal you don't have anything to worry about. Could some cop still harass you because you have the wrong color truck and then punch you in the face because he/she didn't like the way you looked at them? Sure.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: deleted my first sentence in this reply
    PE_T and shatteredsquare Thank this.
  10. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    I am a disgruntled middle aged unfulfilled suburban nobody and this sounds like fun, where do I sign up??

86scotty Thanks this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Well, well, well. I was the one who asked that question. I do plan on eventually tinting my windows, but to 75%. My windows appear to come with a factory tint. So if I install it myself I would need to buy a tint meter to be federally legal.

Oh, I did a quick search, and I was not able to find any new FMCSA regulations on window tinting. FMCSA still has this on their website:

Regulations Section

86scotty Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.