Window tinting

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midnightrider909, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    My wife drives during the day and sometimes the sun is merciless and she gets her left arm all a sizzle. We have a stock Volvo 780 and I am wondering if we can tint it darker on the driver window without getting hassled by the DOT.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    It's a crap shoot. I have limo tint on my wing windows, 35 percent on the sides. I have been hassled a couple of times. I just roll the window down now when I run through an open coop

4. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Technically it's illegal... I'm wrong

But I see lots of trucks tinted in one way or the other...

I use one of these when I get a warm arm from the sun
    https://www.amazon.com/GAcompany-GAP-02-Protection-Sleeves-Driving/dp/B00ZUAR3HS

The link is for one of MANY types...

EDIT:
    The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has confirmed to the International Window Film Association that window tinting is permitted on commercial motor vehicles.

In a Sept. 26 letter to FMCSA, IWFA said “historically, the enforcement community and the trucking industry have clearly taken the position that ‘no’ film was allowed on any vehicle operated as a commercial vehicle.”

The agency responded that such enforcement would have been done contrary to regulations. It also had published guidance that said trucks can use “clear” window films as long as at least 70 percent of the normal light is transmitted.

So I'm to assume that state to state will have it's own agenda...

5. In the Communist country of California.

6" from top edge of glass
    6" from sides

6. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Kentucky pulled me over on the side of I65 a couple months ago. He wrote me up for it (no fine just a warning) and told me to remove it before I came back thru Kentucky. He said basically anything more than a factory door glass was against DOT regulations. He told me that is the only reason he stopped me.

I went ahead and took it off, don't need any reason for them to hassle me.

Dave_in_AZ and Hegemeister Thank this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    I have some fancy ceramic tint in my Volvo. You can't really tell it's there, but it blocks just as much heat and UV as a regular 5% limo tint.
    My arm does not burn anymore from the sun, I really like it. Ask your local tint shops about it, I think it's Lumar brand

8. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I wonder why the manufacturers don't incorporate the same UV protection on the door glass as they do on the windshield.

TruckRunner and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    A guy i used to see once in awhile had a old sleeve cut off a long sleeve shirt that he covered his left arm with. May be odd looking and uncomfortable, but so is skin cancer. Don't think he had ac .

runningman0661 Thanks this.
  10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I have the same - it barely looks tinted, but blocks 99% of UV A and B.

I need it, I’m a SCC/melanoma candidate.

Ask for Cobra at the TA/Loves south of Atlanta (Jackson?) he stocks it.

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    could be, because way too many different state regulations regarding tint darkness.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.