Work history Disqualify ?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by HughJack, Sep 27, 2012.

1. HughJack

HughJack Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2012
    2 years at my last job. Got fired no reason given, last employer can do this in "at will" State.

If I was terminated for no reason at my last job, two trucking recruiters already told me that I do not meet their hiring criteria. This seems to be a discriminatory practice.....maybe difficult to prove but there are fair employment laws in every state.

Just not understanding how the trucking companies can say this up front, without ever requesting a verification from my previous employer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your profile says Trucker Wannabe. Do you have your CDL?
    CLICK HERE for a list of trucking companies that hire new drivers.

Did you ask what portion of their hiring criteria you do not meet? Ask.
    Also try applications online. Each website represents several different companies & will send your application to all you qualify for, that you're interested in. Gve it a try. It's free.
    Google : truck driver jobs; then do one online application at each website.

Try these also :
    TruckJobSeekers.com
    gotruckers.com

Best wishes.
    Don't ever reveal you were fired. You left looking for better pay & benefits.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  4. HughJack

Sep 14, 2012
    The recruiter told me straight away about being fired from my last job means I don't meet their company criteria for acceptance.

It wasn't my application, just talking over the phone with them to get info first. My response is 2 years being with the same company, they fire me, what can I do about that?

Previous job wasn't trucking. I don't have my CDL, and looking at going company-sponsored training to get it. Now, before anyone says the training companies might have tougher criteria, a) why would I pay for training on my own after being told by a couple companies I'm not eligible to be hired with them after being fired from my last job? ...and b) question if what they are saying is illegal in violation of fair employment state laws.

Maybe there is another company out there who will help me get my start, but this doesn't seem right and/or legal.

5. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    seems strange not to give reason for firing you.file for unemployment..i bet they,ll give a reason then when they appeal it. i got terminated too but that was my fault somewhat but i still won the unemployment case. still having problems with getting hired. its funny that they look to hire perfect drivers but turn around and treat them like crap as their employees. lol

6. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    I sent you a PM Hugh....

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient

There are some very strict laws concerning a previous employer revealing anything negative about you. If you can , ask an attorney about this.
    Try this, don't reveal you were fired, just say you resigned and looking for better pay and benefits.
    I had a similar situation one time, so I called my old boss, and asked,"you're not saying anything bad about me to my prospective employers are you? I've run into some problems with prospective employers they say they're getting something negative from my past work history. I've been advised to track down where this is coming from." After that phone call, he would say, "yes, he worked here", and wouldn't say anything negative.
    CLICK HERE for a list of trucking companies that hire new drivers.

8. HughJack

Sep 14, 2012
    Good idea Chinatown......but still doesn't seem legal for a company to tell any applicant up-front that you don't meet our criteria because you were terminated from last job.

And by the way, of course I know why the last job fired me, but it wasn't a good reason, not deserved, and even though I know why they didn't specifically say why. If you work in an "at will" state the company can fire anyone without having to communicate a reason.

9. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    then why do trucking companies r allowed to put negative things on the dac report.

10. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Sometimes a dismissal is a flag to them. Most will have you wait a year after a dismissal before they will look at your application.

11. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    So u were laid off thats what u say to every body...u need to confront ur previous employer and set the record straight firing u just dont make sense unless u messed up and are not telling us the truth. In the past i have gotten fired from a underground utility construction co and a carpentry company for not following rules and regulations FIRED. I have also gotten laid off due to company going out of bussiness or slow work in those cases I get written a letter for my prospective employer to read explaining the situation very easy with that. What is it you are not telling us? We cant help u if u are not honest. I had no problem getting into trucking with those firings if u want to know.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.