Wrist/hand pain

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RichTrucker2020, May 30, 2020.

1. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    When they fixed mine back in the eighties they layed open a 5 inch cut in the palm of my hand.
    Now the surgery is a little small cut and they go in and make a little snip.
    Very easy surgery with a very quick recovery time.
    You will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Push on the trailer when you get out and remind yourself to move your hands around Abit while driving.

I had a bad habit of that with my feet forever using cruise control all the time. I'd try to get up and my ###### ankle would be locked up or something.

Hell get one of those little finger exercisers they sell at guitar shops and use that going down the road or roll a little dumbbell from your fingertips into a curl and twist your wrists around if you have to.

4. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Internationals are crappy trucks to drive.

Hard ### seats in them towstars. Wheel sucks to.

RichTrucker2020 Thanks this.
  5. RichTrucker2020

RichTrucker2020 Light Load Member

May 30, 2020
    Yes, it wakes me up at night because my wrist is curled or am lying on it and hand goes numb. I still have all the strength in my hand just pain and numbness. Glad you healed after the operation.

Sorry to hear that. I appreciate you coming in these forums and letting the young drivers know so they don't go the same path. It kills me to take time off from work with less pay but I know if must be done. I have never filed a workers comp so worried about how that will go.

I have a wrist wrap support that I used to use for weightlifting at the gym. I wear it when I drive. It helps but not total solution solver. Will try those super trucker gloves you recommended. Thanks

My hands don't really claw but wrist do have popping sounds and a feeling of instability. Will definitely get it checked out.

I don't really squeeze them hard. The jolts and bumps that are transferred through the steering wheel is what brought on my problem. When it's a smooth road, no pain.

Ya pain is getting worse for me.

Sorry to hear.

Tried it. Doesn't help at all for me.

Good to hear!

A week ago I started doing light arm excercises. Not sure if it's helping

Agree. I find the steering wheel too thick and heavy/stiff to turn. I was in a 2019 cascadia before this truck and that was much better.

6. Hottub

Hottub Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2008
    What's the recovery time after surgery for carpal tunnel for a driver ?

7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I’ve never had it done but my cousin and another friend have and it only took about a week for them. My friend had two weeks worth a vacation to burn anyway so it was a good time for him. I remember my cousin saying the doc told him worst case a month. But I think they do that for cya. My cousin was bored with sitting and was back in his truck after the 3rd day as a swamper with his daughter driving it for him for a few days until the soreness was gone and he felt like he wouldn’t re injure it.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    It depends on the severity. I was out for a week and then on limited duty...no lifting, grabbing, or carrying anything over five pounds, for a month. If you try to cheat on this you run the risk of re-injuring yourself and having to start all over again. Usually on a self re-injury where the patient is at fault your insurance company will deny the claim.
    They did the elbow and the hand on the same side as one operation. I had both sides done and the time between operations was two months.
    I'll repeat myself from my other post...get the operation and don't delay. The improvement is worth the trouble.

9. RichTrucker2020

RichTrucker2020 Light Load Member

May 30, 2020
    Did worker comp cover it?

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Yes it did. Good thing, too. It was spendy.

11. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Wrist pain huh? Maybe stop doing the nasty sooooo much lol your truck must really such I’ve never heard that before lol you probably have arteritis see a doc

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.