X-Straps

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by SixShooterTransport, Apr 2, 2018.

1. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    What width straps do you guys use for your X-Straps across the front and back of the load? If you’re not going to count them towards your aggregate WLL then are 2” ratchet straps sufficient or would you still use 3” or 4”?

The reason I ask is because a 4” ratchet strap is triple the cost of a 2” ratchet strap, so I’m trying to decide if it’s necessary to spend the extra money or not when I place my strap order tomorrow.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Depends what it is. I carry 2", 3", and 4" hand ratchets. No need to buy anything specific, in my opinion. Use a regular strap and a hand ratchet.

SixShooterTransport Thanks this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    anything is better than nothing, when it comes to forward-moving securement.

SixShooterTransport and Opendeck Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Upon thought - no, I only just recently purchased 4" ratchets, for a belly/stretch issue. Grab some 2' ratchets and straps, it'll cover most of what you'll encounter for now.

I know - the securement cost and storage space gets a bit ridiculous after a while.

Tug Toy and SixShooterTransport Thank this.
  6. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    @blairandgretchen Yeah, it doesn’t sound so bad until you start shopping, lol.

I was also thinking that the 2” ratchet straps would conform to the weird angles of doing x-straps and oddball stuff better than a 4”. I’m definitely going to get some, just not sure how many of each.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    I like to have 8 sets. Better to have an extra one on hand.

SixShooterTransport Thanks this.
  8. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I have about 4 of the 2 inch ratchets with the chain ends on both the strap and ratchet - they take a little longer to set up, but allow you to get good securement on angles that are off the regular 90 degrees (like the cross strapping front and back)

Same as everything - probably use them 4 times a year, but handy to have in the 'box of tricks'.

Speaking of which, I have to dump another $700 odd on another box for the trailer to store all this junk in.

@SixShooterTransport - there's probably a few threads here on "Initial setup Securement needs" that you've seen, I was in the same position 3 years ago, and the cost can run fairly high - and the discussions are endless for what you do and don't need. You'll eventually get a good working set together.

Tug Toy and SixShooterTransport Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.