X2 2100a erratic RPM in continuous mode.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by lilillill, Nov 18, 2017.

1. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I recently bought a used Carrier X2 2100a unit. It cools good and works as I would expect in cycle mode, but when set to continuous, the RPM goes up and down and up and down and up and down... drives me nuts. Do they all do that or is there something wrong with this one?

Additionally, when it goes in to defrost, it’s almost as if the motor wants to die, the RPM’s drop so low. The fuel filter is new and it’s getting plenty of fuel. I’m at a loss.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm not sure how old your unit is but on the newer units, continuous mode generally runs at a constant speed except during defrosts. But in cycle mode (chilled loads) ours has a bad habit of going into a desperately low speed as it changes from mode to mode (cool-heat-cool) before shutting off.

I'd let a dealer look at it. It probably has some sort of issue that can be easily programmed out, or it may be a symptom of a problem in the system somewhere.

lilillill Thanks this.
  4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    It’s a 2009. I guess I’ll run it by the dealer and let them have a look.

5. Polar Roller

Polar Roller Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2019
    I've had the exact same problem. I finally got a fault code. Something about a defrost sensor. I'll let everyone know when the dealer fixes the issue. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS TOO!!

6. Polar Roller

Polar Roller Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Well folks, here it is $1500 ater. The DTT2 sensor rubbed raw a wire on the evaporator frame which kept grounding out which fried the micro module.
    Also replaced sensor on inside of trailer that reads temperature and controls suction - this was done last minute for free as a precaution because it stalled and restarted as I was leaving the Carrier shop. So far so good. I'll keep e1 posted.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Buckeyes614, lilillill and 062 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.