Yellow/YRC

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Trujo11, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Phantom_3oh9

Phantom_3oh9 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2024
    Geez roadrunner you must have a crystal ball you almost pinned the flameout perfectly. Nicely done!

While I have got you here, any recommendations on numbers for the next big powerball drawing would be GREATLY appreciated ;)

jmz and road_runner Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Every now and then I am right, a broken clock is accurate twice a day. But when I'm right I really am right.

I have a good idea who is potentially up next unfortunately.

Cardfan89 Thanks this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    How you been @road_runner ?
    Who's next?

Old_n_gray Thanks this.
  5. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Been great. Thanks for asking. How about yourself?

If I had to take a good guess... And this is purely and entirely speculative. I would think FedEx is going to sell off their Freight division. LTL seems to be a niche for these parcel and package companies and I feel FxF is the next UPSF.

Some of the things leading to my speculation are that I've seen a lot of furloughs from them in my area, there really wasn't much interest from them during the Yellow closure, and LTL in general has been cooling down a lot due to the recession. It would make sense for them to sell their freight division since the meat and potatoes of their operation has always been parcel and packagea. But then again, I've been wrong before.

There is no way in hell I would speculate the next flameout where people lose their jobs in the masses. I like you guys waaay too much and would never put that kind of bad juju on any of you.

plynnjr92, MACK E-6, Cardfan89 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    That would be a real shame. Those are the only FedEx drivers I respect and trust out on the road.

7. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I think there will be a day when they will be called something else and be owned by someone else. What happened with Holland/Reddaway/New Penn is beyond shameful. Yellow should have done the right thing and sold off those companies that were still profitable.

It reminds me of two weeks ago when my five year old had his friend over and they decided to take 4 tubs of brand new Play-Doh and mixed them up into one indistinguishable colour. I think it came out to purple or black. Either way, there was no way to separate them anymore and my wife tossed them out with the rubbish.

That's exactly the same thing when we became "one yellow". A completely unrecognizable mess that nobody could distinguish or take back apart again. Off to the rubbish it went.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    A family member who was losing their house loaned me a casserole dish. They hounded me for weeks and weeks to get that casserole dish back, and then when they lost the house, they left the casserole dish in the house, and then it was gone.

Just One Yellow things.

road_runner and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  9. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I honestly think back and wonder whatever happened to my truck. It was an old 2006 International. It was a piece of crap, but in the end it was my piece of crap. I hope someone is taking care of her and not turning it into scrap.

We hired and layed off a driver all within the same week. Someone also got written up for being late to work the week of our closing.

Our TM could have given us a soft landing by encouraging people like me not to come back when I found work elsewhere. Or just be honest about the state of the company to everyone else. Instead he smiled and said everything is going great while strapping on his golden parachute.

It's quite fascinating what people are capable of against their fellow coworkers when it comes to towing the company line. We had a guy getting ready to have throat surgery on a Tuesday. The previous Wednesday he found out that his insurance expires at the end of the week. As if the anxiety of going under the knife isn't enough.

10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Plenty of Freight drivers think the same thing, but personally the way I look at it is Freight is the one consistent bright spot on FedEx’s quarterly reports. With Freight being incredibly profitable, and with FedEx as a whole not being strapped for cash, I don’t see any reason why they would look to get rid of us.

It’s hard to compare FxF to UPSF because UPS wasn’t interested in running a profitable LTL division. They were running it more like a marketing division to sell other UPS services to their LTL customers.

11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Agree 100%

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.