You might be a P&D driver...

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Gearjammin' Penguin, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    ...if you hear "Trucks do that all the time" and think "I got this" instead of "OH CRAP."

...if you hear "You can't get that in there!" and take it as a challenge.

...if you understand that "Accessory charges are subject to change according to customer's attitude."

...if you've operated forklifts stamped PROPERTY OF FRED FLINTSTONE.

...if you secretly enjoy the wide-eyed looks of panic from your customers right before your jack rolls off the end of the liftgate and stops the pallet dead.

...if you know more about the personal lives of some of your customers than those of some of your coworkers.

...if you know more than you ever wanted to know about the personal lives of some of your customers.

...if your first reaction to the word 'residential' isn't printable on TTR.

...if you get pinged with three pickups and can immediately tell with 99% accuracy how much space you'll have left in your trailer afterwards.

...if you've put fifty extra miles on in order to meet closing times which you know by heart at this point.

...if you know which customers to save for last because they're wild card freight.

...if you have a favorite pallet jack, dolly and/or liftgate trailer.

...if your GPS and map book are gathering dust because you already know the area better than the people who actually live there.

...if you can get a 15' crate (heavy end towards the tail) to the ground with no dock and no forklift.

darthanubis, carl320, Mike2633 and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    That genuinely sums up our daily routine outside of our job description.

darthanubis, carl320, Mike2633 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Gearjammin' Penguin

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    C'mon, RR, you've got some to add to this!

Mike2633 and motocross25 Thank this.
  5. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    If when callin residentials the worst thing someone can say is “well I mean my husband get his pickup and boat turned around up here. There’s room for a trailer”

If you can work customers lunch break times like a fiddle

If you’ve had to go back inside a customer after FINALLY being able to leave because close times are fast approaching cuz you’re still locked in to the dock.

If you think the sign “must chock tires” is usually a suggestion

If you’ve become numb to backin in off a busy street. Why? Cuz F$&% em. That’s why.

If you hafta sit through one more safety meeting on the SMITH system you think you might actually hate this “Smith” guy

If you enjoy puttin a quarter between the Red glad hand of the competitors truck at the next dock cuz you know him and owe him back for always opening your trailer door before you come in and tellin you “omg your doors open” har har

If the only thing you look forward to besides the weekend is holidays!!

And if you HATE the last Friday of the month. Especially if it’s end of quarter.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    “Oh sure. We get trucks and trailers in here every day”.

Oh ####. How the hell am I going to get turned around in here??

“Oh I’m sorry. I thought you meant a pickup truck with a uhaul trailer.”

Don’t be this guy.

7. Gearjammin' Penguin

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Especially after it's been explained to them, by more than one person, that it's a SEMI-TRUCK. You try to tell people things and it goes in one ear and out their arse....

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You might be a P&D driver if....

You feel the pejorative known as “door slammer” doesn’t apply to you even though you pull a van and slam a door. :)

9. Gearjammin' Penguin

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    My door only slams vertically.

darthanubis, Mike2633 and motocross25 Thank this.
  10. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    You also might be a P&D Driver if YOU hafta tell the shipper what needs to be listed on a HazMat BOL and in what order.

Also if (and this may be just me) you have thought “geez this dude can’t drive a forklift for $&@%” only to deep down inside know you couldn’t do any better.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  11. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    You're not truly a P&D driver until you've had the privaledge of pinning the arrogant (I'll only be a minute)Buster Brown Pkg Van driver to a dock and going to lunch.....because they flew in behind you as you were setting up to back in......
    Oh and xtra points if you go to lunch with the Receiver from the business you were delivering to......LMAO

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.