Your OWN shop!!!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by KenworthGuyNH, Jun 16, 2014.

1. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH
    A little informal survey.......if you were to build your own shop; what are some features you would "have" to have? Or if you DO have your own already, what are some things you really like or conversely might do different if you could? I am wondering how many of us up here in cold weather land DO have our own shops!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Well, I got a 50 by 60 shop with 2 roll up doors, 220V, air compressor and water.

I haven't measured, but I've got a feeling the door is going to have to be a bit higher, unless I buy a flat top.

Not great in the middle of winter, it was an old horse stable until they poured the floor and clad it in metal, so it needs insulation.

Big_D409 and KenworthGuyNH Thank this.
  4. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

If your building new or renovating with a new floor as part of the reno , look into IN SLAB RADIANT HEAT best thing you could use for a shop , utilizes all the heat not like unit heater mounted 15' in the air and thaws out the equipment from the bottom up in the winter and always a dry floor.

5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Excellent advice here especially in NH. If you do decide to go this route make sure whoever installs it knows what they are doing. I have heard more than one horror story of people going through the trouble of installing this and not have it work properly because they failed to insulate between the ground and the heating tubes. I have a firend who built his own house 10 years ago and put radiant heat under his concrete basement floor. It works amazing.

SMTatham Thanks this.
  6. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    Having your own pit is pretty sweet.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  7. lobes1985

lobes1985 Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Wappingers Falls, NY
    I would say a pit or a lift would be the biggest thing I would want. Radiant heat is great too. A friend of mines has it in his shop and its nice in the winter not laying on cold concrete

8. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    floor drains. and can never have too many outlets.

9. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    an epoxy floor before you move in for easy clean up

10. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Radiant heat in the floor is nice, a friend of mine has that in his 30x60, the only down side to it he says, that it is a very expensive way to heat. In our shop we have a waste oil furnace, with five trucks that change oil there, and some generous donations of oil from outside sources it stays very comfortable in there all winter long.

Floor drains are a must if you live in the north and park a snow packed truck in the shop.

A pit would be something that I would like to have, sucks rolling around under the truck on a creeper.

11. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    Coffee maker, beer fridge, a decent stereo, I recently added some insulation and an A/C to the tool room in mine. Looking forward to using that feature ! Oh, and tools, gotta have some tools and a few projects to make it look as if you're doing something.

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.