Youtuber Follies

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by merv85, Mar 22, 2023.

1. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    kylefitzy,
    Your photos show that you indeed secured those loads according to those regs, I suspect as a result of being conscientious about it. :)
    The loads over 6 foot and 3 tiers, you have secured with a gut wrap, the one's that might appear to be close to 6 foot, aren't over 2 tiers. :)
    You have a bulkhead structure, so the penalty strap isn't needed (although I tend to put them on anyway- my OCD :) ) and so depending on the weight, those look like properly secured loads. I suspect your training and your erring on the side of caution is why it's done the way I would have done them.
    In addition, most of those layers in the photos, have dunnage between layers, which assists friction, whereas the metal structures that she loaded only had dunnage on the lower levels, thereby not having sufficient friction between layers to hold the load in place.

Yours are properly secured, hers were not. :)

Blue jeans and kylefitzy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    That header on the one trailer is just a conestoga nose, it has no structural strength.

merv85, stwik, Tb0n3 and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Yeah. Better not have thick aluminum beams bolted to the frame. No way it could do any better than the thin gauge steel in the cab frame.

I think you massively underestimate aluminum. What do you think carries most of those coils in the first place?

CAXPT Thanks this.
  5. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Big difference between carrying an object at rest and stopping a 40k+ pound rolling coil.

Even if the rack was steel I wouldn’t trust it…. Put enough securement on it to keep ya comfortable and drive with a brain.

6. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, but it's one more layer of aluminum that is harder than the flimsy aluminum of the cab. Whatever can slow it down so the next holds better, is better. I would have put another strap on, but that's me. :)
    Depending on the maker, by the way, that bulkhead is rated and DOT approved, so your statement may not be accurate.
    Aero for instance, has two DOT rated and one non-DOT rated bulkheads. Whether it stops something or not, isn't the point in that regard but if it's rated for the required bulkhead specifications that are DOT approved, it qualifies as a structural bulkhead contrary to opinion. I don't consider a van front wall to be sufficient either, but it apparently is DOT rated to qualify as one.
    I guess we need kylefitzy to let us know the model and make so we can look it up to be sure. :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  7. YardMule89

YardMule89 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2021
    Load shift at FIRST stop sign tells me the straps weren't tight enough or she hit the brakes like she was in a POV. Obviously not secured right but to NOT make it past the first stop sign is telling.

merv85 and CAXPT Thank this.
  8. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    It was a quickdraw brand. None of that really matters though. If the load is not in direct contact with the headboard, the headboard is ineffective, and an additional strap or chain is required.

merv85 and CAXPT Thank this.
  9. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, depending on the structure, it's best when in contact, I agree, but there's alwas some distance involved, so not sure, but I guess that means you'll be putting an extra strap on from now on then, eh? :)
    By the way, just checked your manufacturer, and indeed, you do have a DOT approved headboard, so that qualifies it as structural.

10. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I watched half of it and had to turn it off. What a dingbat! And that has nothing to do with her being a woman or lack of training. I mean it’s obvious she wasn’t trained properly but at the end of the day it still falls on her. The whole time she spent sitting in the truck talking to herself while being loaded, she could have spent researching securement regs or calling someone for help or something.

Also, did anyone catch the part when she was picking up her load levelers?

“I’m here to pick up my load levelers. The guy is going to bring them out.”

Guy brings them out.

“What are those?”

They are your ####ing load levelers you bonehead! :rolleyes:

11. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I really don’t want to admit this but I’ve had product slide on me before. Solid core steel tubes about 2” diameter, super oiled up, about 12 banded together wrapped in a tyvek tarp material, 5 of them so about 9k lbs each. Extremely slippery. I had 9 straps on this load that was only 20ft long. A car slammed on the brakes before a photo enforced light and I had to stop quick.

Anyway the center cluster slid forward, blown through the tarp, and was stopped by the lip of the trailer. Literally the lip in the front that is only about 3/16” above the deck and not even an inch wide stopped the cluster. It did blow out and break off but it stopped it. Pretty good for aluminum.

This is the reason I’m even on this site asking questions all the time and constantly learning. This girl just has the mentality that if she doesn’t know who cares because everyone will help her.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Blue jeans, merv85 and CAXPT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.