YRC vs Roadway vs Reddaway

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Oct 2, 2012.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Yeah, first response will be that they are all owned by the same parent company (YRC). My question is that I work out of a Reddaway terminal.. but we have YRC people coming in and out of our yard each day. They seem to be in their own bubble and never say hello. They have their own section along the fenceline where they keep their stuff. I was told I was not allowed to touch their trailers or con gear. But if we are the same company, why can we not touch each other stuff? Also... Why is parts of YRC union... And the other half not?? Is there really a difference? It makes so sense that we are so big.... Yet so diverse.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cobra67y20

Cobra67y20 Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Oviedo, Fl
  4. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Some Reddaway yards are union. I wonder if it's the same there? I never see YRC in my yard. I also never go to a YRC yard. I only go to the YRC Reddaway yards lol. I know Roadway still hates Yellow and Reddaway still hates Yellow. Seems all was good till Yellow bought them up. They should have just let Roadway and USF operate on their own. Yellow not only messed up the companies they bought but messed themselves up. That and the recession plus bad decisions, weren't a good mix. Life goes on.

5. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Everything you said are common reoccuring talking themes that I hear within the company from fellow drivers. What I don't get is why YRC won't get everyone on the same page. I am sure that some of it hinges on different state's right to work laws. My yard is also non-union. Which suits me just fine since I am happy with my pay and benefits. I am not big on the idea that I should pay dues to another organization to fight for benefits that I am already happy with. I really dont want to offtrack this thread too much into a political discussion. But I would like to hear the answers to my original questions. Thanks for any/all responses.

6. Cab Lizzard

Cab Lizzard Light Load Member

May 16, 2011
    MIA
    You could walk over and say hello !

ACH1130 Thanks this.
  7. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    I can't say I have ever seen any YRC guys in my yard but I have on the road. We do a lot of the same runs and even go to some of the same hotels. They are all cool with me when I talk to them. I've run with them before too talked on the CB. No problems there. Heck one night I was with 2 Saia, 1 Estes and 2 YRC drivers and we talked on the CB for about 2 hours. Makes the time go by faster on the I-5.

I guess I can't really answer your question. Some drivers are upset with the buy out, some are with the union and I think some (from what I've been told by other drivers) are upset cause they think YRC is giving us their freight.

ACH1130 Thanks this.
  8. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Yellow hates roadway, roadway hates yellow, yellow hates the old USF, USF hates yellow. It's going to take a while to change all that, possibly my generation will.

Another example is Overnite and UPSF. When ups bought Overnite the whole company was mad. The new UPSF drivers and old school Overnite guys all hate each other

road_runner Thanks this.
  9. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    They should have left it as it was it seems.

10. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Oh and lets not forget that former Watkins ltl drivers hate FedEx Freight, former CF drivers hate Conway and former Motor Cargo drivers hate UPSF too. LOL!

11. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    CF I understand completely though. Been told many stories what happened. Just like Carolina express hates ABF.

yes YRC should've left everything it's own entity. Make YRC the company name, and keep it as Yellow, Roadway, and USF and just collect the money. Don't forget new penn too is also owned.

dont know much about Watkins LTL or motor cargo...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.