1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Been at this for 23 years in April and never once have I ever bought a “gift” for the office to get stuff in return.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    CareerChanges,

I am a Teamster Union company driver. If my equipment isn't safe to drive for any reason, it doesn't move. Period. I am guaranteed my 8 hours of pay just to show up. But I pull HazMat tankers not freight. The company is responsible to maintain their equipment. You, as the driver, have a responsibility to yourself and the motoring public to refuse to take any equipment that you deem unsafe, for whatever reason and drive it. I remember the old Roadway and Yellow trucks where the driver would attach a CB antenna with vice grips to the mirror. How sad. While I'm not under the Master Freight Agreement, I couldn't help but wonder if that was a way to punish the drivers because they were represented by the Union? We all know that Union pay and benefits far exceed what 99% of the companies here provide. I can't tell you what to do. If it's that bad, maybe a call to your local DOT office may help. Why not pull it into the scales for an inspection? You're going to be paid for that time anyway.

I'm not sure why you are not getting paid for every amount that they owe you? It should be spelled out in your contract. That, you can file a grievance on so do it. I get paid by the hour so it's very easy to figure out if i was not getting paid correctly.

Also, I never have and never would buy any gift for anyone in management to get ahead. There is no reason for that. I don't work for my dispatcher. My dispatcher works for me.I work for my Operations Supervisor.

Good luck to you.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Great post!

The only thing I *know* for *fact* about YRC is their equipment is second only to Central as far as looking like a rolling DOT violation.

6. CareerChanges

CareerChanges Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2020
    @074344, I do get paid. They sometime screw up the drop and hook / change trailers pay. I believe it counts as a half hour. We sometimes do it when we are on our lunch break and management doesn't like it, but it doesn't say anywhere that you cant.
    Yes, I am responsible and you are right. The times I have pulled a truck / trailer when it was unsafe was after getting my license via yrc. They don't teach you much and it isn't until after talking to senior drivers that they inform you about what the trainers never showed you. In my first 6 months I had senior drivers who retired to the yard switchers go to management ( dispatchers ) with me ( on my behalf ) and ask them why they let their trainers do a half-assed job. I didn't trust the dispatch / management since then.
    As for the CB on the antenna, some drivers still do that.
    Cant speak much on the master freight agreement.
    As for unions exceeding in terms of benefits. I would mostly agree with you. My friend's job pays him $35 / hr and he drives for a demo company. He is a teamster and gets benefits. I partially wouldn't agree in terms of yrc due to the low pay and 15% pay cut the company has going on.
    Pulling into scales is normally mandated and yes I have done that when I was a rookie a few times because I didn't know what I was really doing at the time. ( when I had 1 to 2 months experience ).
    Also I don't mean to crap on all the management, I have found old management from roadway care and don't let much slide. While YRC and Yellow management don't care for much.
    I agree with you about not working for dispatch.
    Personally I see it as I work for myself, since its up to me to excel at my job and get up in the morning.

Sirscrapntruckalot and p608 Thank this.
  7. tomhanson

tomhanson Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020

8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Says the person that takes three tries to figure out how to quote another poster. Lol

Hate to break it to you, but I don’t take directions from you. ;)

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    First of all, lose the attitude.

Second of all, exactly what does “it’s called LTL” have to do with poor equipment maintenance? I do LTL myself, and see my fair share of their equipment that has obviously seen better days.

10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Looks like someone is in damage control mode.
    Their 1st post and they seem to having edit issues but it looks like one of the mods took care of that!;)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  11. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I’ve seen plenty of YRC’s equipment as well pretty much everywhere I go as well. Some of it looks okay,some of the trailers looks like they should’ve been cut up for scrap a long time ago.
    Regardless if it’s truckload or LTL if the equipment isn’t up to snuff then it shouldn’t be on the road!

12. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Why must you punish me with your takes of good pay and good equipment? Why can't I have good equipment?! >:O

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  13. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You just work for the wrong company. ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs