zip code pay and per diem...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by negativecold13, Nov 23, 2014.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Companies pay HHG miles to get the drivers to help cover the truck company's overhead. Calling it Zip Code miles is one of the biggest lies of the 20/21st century. HHG goes back to the 1930's and Zip codes did not come into mass use til the 1960's.

So HHG company pays $0.40 for that 500 mile load but it takes 525 to get there the driver's true pay is $0.38 with the other $0.02 cents retained by the truck company to cover various overhead like paying plates, tires or other repairs paying office staff/lights etc during the year on the equipment. The average American truck driver produces 112,000 miles per year so that is $2240 bucks per HHG driver per year that is stolen. We're talking in the billion$

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AppalachianTrucker

AppalachianTrucker Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Orion Arm
    Mass wage theft: That's truckin'!
    Kee-yuk, kee-yuk!

4. negativecold13

negativecold13 Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Gilmer, Texas
    Well, from what I have learned so far on per diem this is my figuring. If it puts more money in my pocket now, then that works for me. I am already maxed on SSC and get my Army retirement. I don't need a huge $ sign at end of year to buy a house. Have bought and sold two houses thus far. Credit companies are manipulative. I have always figured out a way to get what I need financed. Have even claimed income from odd jobs such as earnings from ebay. Last year I owed Government over $10,000 in taxes that I am still paying on, so in short the less taxes i have to pay the better. Hopefully, I get my debt paid down before a revolution happens so I can quietly disappear into the mountains and not even have to worry about ssc. I am not keen on the zip code to zip code pay, but if thats what it takes to get bills paid, then so be it. I was shoveling snow for $10 bucks an hour. I have a few more companies to call in the morning before I make final decision(system transport, decker, Usxpress, Swift and May). I am leaning towards System Transport, however, was thinking starting pay for flatbed may be a little higher. Thanks for the info on these subjects.

double yellow Thanks this.
  5. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Find a small outfit that pays off the hub then you know exactly what you should be making before taxes..

Not qualified to answer your per diem question, sorry..

6. brewser1958

brewser1958 Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Not so sure you are correct on this. I get zip code to zip code pay from the company I drive semi truck for, and I had a set run that I did every day. I went from Jackson, MI, to Livonia, MI, to Chicago, IL, and back to Jackson, every night. Actual mileage was 510 miles, and I was being paid 547 miles for the trip. So I was the one making out, not the company. Actually the company, and I was making out, the customer wasn't, lol.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    who aren't you sure is correct ??? :dontknow:

8. brewser1958

brewser1958 Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.