Zipties to lock chassis pins.

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by JJKid, Jun 9, 2015.

1. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Who uses them?

I hope everyone!! It is really surprising.. I see alot of container drivers with no zipties on the pins.... all it takes is a small bump and oops.. they're open.

My company I work for is aggressively on drivers who are not using zipties.. heck, I even heard they are billing them $50 for each pin thats not ziptied. FAIR Enough...

anyone else agree?

HalpinUout, RERM and mmk trucking Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    neutral on the agree part ..

I'm not a regular, but I check those I pull. Its part of the pre+trip. I carry zipties for various reasons not just containers.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Years ago, '80's, we never had zip ties to secure the turn pins, and in the 4 1/2 years I did that xxxx, I never had any trouble, even bouncing empty on Chicago's wonderful side streets. :dontknow:

spyder7723, Bean Jr. and BeN DaViS Thank this.
  5. Truckin2Eat

Truckin2Eat Medium Load Member

Jul 2, 2013
    GA
    The way some of the chassis pins lock in they will not come out because you don't have have a zip tie on it. But some will I been pulling intermodal for a while so I can kinda look and tell the difference. And I don't kno I never read it but they say it is DOT law to have zip ties on the chassis so take the chance of getting busted or the pins coming out. Or simply put them on. It's a 80% chance I have mines zip tied.

dca and 201 Thank this.
  6. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Zipties or Zip ties .. The company tells me its mandatory.. Dot this dot that.. OK..

I haven't read it anywhere either

7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I zip tie them. Once the latch broke on transit and it came undone and jump the back pins. I was empty

dca Thanks this.
  8. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Use them every time . I mean, how lazy can you be?

spyder7723 and dca Thank this.
  9. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    bailing wire, put it on when needed, remove and reuse on the next one

dca and 201 Thank this.
  10. DetroitSpecial

DetroitSpecial Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2015
    All i can say is GET STOPPED BY D.O.T. w/ o em & it will be your BEST DAY OVER!! I can promise you that lol

11. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    agreed with all comments. talked with safety guy today.. this upcoming safety meeting (this saturday), it's going to be mandatory for all containers brought back to the yard to have zipties on them or they will start terminating drivers for not securing their loads properly.

i was in the shop the other day and i seen safety guy on a person who brought in a container with 2 back pins unlocked, his exact words were "unless you have 100k to pay up for cargo insurance and a guarenteed x amount of money to cover anyone in involved and hurt by your lack of judgement and carelessness, you will #$*#( use zipties and thats final".. i wish i knew what the driver told him before safety guy he told him that. kinda walked away after that comment..lol.

probably along the lines of "but i got it from the yard like that". lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.