Zombie Night Shift Survival

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dave_in_AZ, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'm doing the zombie night shift for awhile. I hate driving at night anymore.

Three nights down. Two to go.

Notwithstanding everything is closed, so you basically get hind tit for coffee and food. The grind to stay awake is added in. I see everyone sleeping, and think "God I wish that was me."

I've been shutting down and power cat napping between 0100 and 0200 until 0400.

This has been working pretty well. Then finish my shift.

BillStep Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Three to six am is actually a dangerous time for people in heart attack terms.

Anytime you are sleeping near those hours at least one sleep cycle you are doing well. I used to do just nights, but these days there is no joy in it.

Bean Jr. and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Fill thermos with a mixture of coffee, Red Bull, and crack cocaine.

Sip at appropriate intervals, and watch movies on the laptop propped on the dash.

Fill the bottom box with the last minute cheap clean out at KFC.

Snack yourself to a healthy tomorrow.

5C80BBB4-F98B-491A-8271-3ABCFCC115C7.jpeg

5. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    I did a week of 6 to 6 it was trans loading rail cars no time to power nap, good money but you feel like fecal matter at 6:30 never again for this old guy

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Ah the money thing, yes. That's why this is happening. It's not this run, it's the next one. This is the only way I could make it work.

7. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    I love running 2am to 3pm. By the time you’re about to shutdown there’s parking everywhere. If you manage to organize it so you shutdown before any big cities you avoid a lot of traffic. The only downside it when you’re starting your shift there are some real tired truckers on that road I give em more space eat abit of the rumblestrips. Now starting at 5pm-ish is a bother. I’d rather start night while I’m fresh and not deal with too much of it. Honestly if it wasn’t for HOS if I start at 2am I feel like I can run until 6pm with absolutely no fatigue.

8. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    I say God bless the guys that like the vampire shift,because it is not going to be me

9. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Seriously though - it takes repetition and training.

After 5 day a week night shift, swapping to human hours for 2 days then back again - for 7 years - I had it down pretty good.

That SOS load the other day demanded night shift - and I could barely do it.

Naps is the answer, but the e-log has other ideas.

tommymonza and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    You’re a rare breed mate - after all those years, 3am till 7am was the hardest fight.

Lots of phone time with other night owls, or crawl up next to honey, defeated, and vowing to get better sleep the next day.

Dogman22, Ffx95 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I like depressing music at night. Throw on some Mazzy Star and I start to wake up and become more alert. Strange, but WFM.

Dogman22, Smut, tommymonza and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.