99 Classic multiple questions

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by shakerclassic, Jun 10, 2018.

1. shakerclassic

shakerclassic Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Hello, I am new here and I have searched all over on here and google and what not and can't seem to find an answer. So here I am. I have a 99 classic with 6nz and 10 speed rockwell and I have been trying to get all the quirks worked out of this truck. My biggest issue is the speedometer that doesn't work I have located the speed sensor and the wires look like something ripped them from a plug maybe? For the life of me I can't find a plug to put them back into anywhere.. When I bought the truck (used about 3 months ago) I noticed the low air alarm wasn't working (buzzer or light) upon further investigation the buzzer had been removed so I bought a new one at dealer and installed and it is apparently stuck in the alarm position? The alarm will continue to go off all the way to the gov shutoff and I have removed the speaker for temporarily. What would cause the alarm to be stuck on and the low air light to not come on? Next issue I need some help with is the A/C will only work on high, it blows snowballs out the vents but when you turn it to medium or low the fan shuts off? And then finally my next one I can't figure out is when you turn the wipers on they come up and wipe fine but won't go back down to the bottom of the windshield they stop about 7-8" from where they should be. Some of this might be being a little picky about a 20 year old truck but its my first truck and I am extremely proud of it. Any help at all will be very much appreciated as I am just about stuck on these last little issues. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The A/C problem with the blower fan being stuck on high speed is because your fan blower resistor is bad, replace the resistor and you'll have all your lower fan speeds back.

The windshield wiper park issue could be wiper motor is bad, or multi function switch for wiper is bad, or relay is bad.

The speedometer issue you will need to start back tracing wires from either the speedomter head towards the transmission speed sensor, or from the sensor towards the speedomter.

You may have to start disassembling your dash, not only for the speedometer issue, but for the low air buzzer issue as well.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    shakerclassic and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Replace the windshield wiper motor and replace the speedometer.

The speedometer is electronic and the servo goes bad.

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Low air buzzer - find the low air sensor and replace, mine was on a manifold block behind foot pedal on a Pete. I believe there’s 2.

6. shakerclassic

shakerclassic Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks guys for the responses! As for the speedometer I figured tracing wires back down out of the cab was my best option I haven't had time yet to do it but that should work. Does anybody know where the fan speed resistor is located? And then lastly I'm not sure if this is supposed to be this way or not but with the AC running the fan clutch appears to lock in and it won't let the truck get over about 140-150° is that correct? I feel lok that's a little cold for the motor to be running? Out on the highway with a load it will get up a little more than that just wanted to check since a motor running not in optimal temperature would cause poor economy. Thanks again guys for all the help!

Bean Jr. and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  7. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The blower resistor should be behind the glovebox to the left of the blower motor, it should be in a blue box with six wires coming out of it.

As for your fan clutch I don't know if it's a two speed fan or not, but your temps are too low even with the A/C on.

If the temps are that low without the A/C on, you could have a stuck coolant thermostat.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I'd say the engine temp is either stuck or maybe someone removed the thermostat, or you gauge is bad. Try using a temp gun that will narrow that down.

9. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  10. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    In my limited understanding - the AC will cause the engine fan to kick in via the high pressure switch, so it draws more air across the condenser at the front of the radiator - but should cycle off again.

High ambient temperature or high humidity may keep it on longer, but it should cycle.

RET423 Thanks this.
  11. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Speedometer - I’d pull the speed sensor and check the resistance against a new one.

Check sensor is adjusted correctly.

Verify the same resistance at the back of speedometer head.

Try another speedo head from salvage or a friend.

Are you having fun yet?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.