Auto brake assist

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Doealex, Apr 8, 2021.

1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    the auto brake had nothing to do with it.... load securment or lack there of did...

alds, drvrtech77, Doealex and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    I agree with you, but I have to consider wear and tear on my equipment with these sudden stops. Plus I am sure that these sudden stops are not safe in inclement weather. I've hit someone in the past because he decided to cut in front of me and press his brakes in this type of weather. Officer agreed with me upon seeing my dashcam footage.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  4. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    Yeah, I'm not hauling a load of coils if I can't inspect the securement, sorry.

alds, QuietStorm, TokyoJoe and 2 others Thank this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I agree...auto-braking at it's worst shouldn't brake hard enough to cause this, at least no system I have ever drive would...and I have driven bendix, wingman, and whatever this crap the new Cascadias have with the Mercedes logo on them is called.

Like they said, J plates, or the pull out chain blanks some trailers are equipped with.

Bud A. and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I use schedule 80 or 100 chain, and at a minimum 4 per coil, Overkill sometimes it is. The other hand in 30 years, over 2 million mile I have not lost or damaged a load, or had a load leave the trailer before planned. Several years ago I had a 2 coil load go over, bottomline when they picked up the trailer the coils were exactly where I secured them. Using straps on a steel coil is something I would never consider. Love my 80 chain.

7. JerseyBarrierRacer

JerseyBarrierRacer Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2021
    I've only driven off and on for a handful of years (reefer/van) but I've had a few close calls with the auto braking "feature" and weirdly, its never even activated in situations I thought it would/should. I wonder if there is any telemetry to indicate when it is braking versus when the driver actually brakes and beyond that: if a company would actually tell the truth one way or the other should it cause you to lose control and you die.

Its one reason I don't use cruise control.

I would bet dollars to donuts that it has to do with money some way or another... either the manufacturers that make this crap are getting paid to make it or the companies that use them are getting kickbacks from insurers for having them or both, and probably at the expense of taxpayers. I know I'm not the only one that has had a few erratic hard brake events from these devices and I wonder how many didn't live or remember to tell their story about theirs. I'm convinced its a dangerously flawed system and we'll probably never see the real data. Automation and motor vehicles should never mix. If people can't drive flawlessly how do we expect them to design systems that can... its insane.

8. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    If the load "shifts", it should take the trailer with it. Otherwise, there wasn't enough securement. Yeah, there's cases when maybe you can't get every little piece as secure as you'd like. There's exceptions to every rule. However not with a coil. Pretty straightforward. Just add chains. I don't think I've seen a pic here yet of a shifted load that was actually properly secured.

9. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    I had 5 bundles of steel rod a couple months ago that I secured with 4 chains and 3 strapwraps on a step deck. The dude loaded the steel about an inch back from the step and good thing it wasn't on a flatbed.

As soon as I got on the interstate at the next ramp about 1/2 a mile away some idiot in front of me decided to almost completely stop for a car entering on the ramp that was going about 25 while that moron was also braking so I'm sitting back there basically watching an idiot show. Everybody else were going 50-60.

I was way back 500+ feet and decided to just take my foot off and slowly move over to the shoulder because nobody else was around except the car taligating me.

Of course once I got within 150-200 ft of the clown show, with my truck and trailer leaning to turn to the right, my truck decided to make it's own moron decision because it saw a solid wall in front of it not moving and slammed on the brakes so hard that everything in the truck crashed forward. I pull over and see that the bars in the middle are now touching the step and there's a small dent. No idea how catastrophic this would have been if I'd have been pulling a flatbed.

Since that day I'm considering covering up the sensor, one of my friends disconnected his, just took the plastic cover off disconnected it, replaced cover and no more alarms, like it's covered in snow.

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Not looking to start anything, but it does not matter how many chains are placed if they are not in the correct places, or what the chains are secured to. I personally would not haul a steel load in a van, just don't believe the securement point are strong enough. Back in the day I had turned down plenty of loads while pulling a van because I did not think the securement points were there. Like securing large rolls of paper to the thin wall of a van. Driver has the choice.

Doealex Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.