Builders transportation?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by asphaltcowboy4x4, Feb 26, 2019.

1. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    its a flatbed company part of the Daseke mafia. I already work for Daseke so I’m looking to transfer to a home more often as in every weekend job. Anyone hear about these guys they seem pretty good start at 55cpm but experienced drivers get up to 65 cpm or 27% of linehaul

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    BTC's not bad. Been around a long time. I don't think they're as "up in the air" as Boyd Brothers, Maverick, etc.

4. asphaltcowboy4x4

Dec 22, 2018
    Up in the air?

5. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Think they're all that

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I worked for them about a decade ago, from what I recall, they were a good company. A little but strict, but I was cool with it. They were big on safety. Incentive laden. Home every week. Good equipment. If I hadn't of flunked a piss test, I would have worked them longer than I did. Maybe I would still be there now

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    They have a fairly low DOT number, so they've been around longer than a lot of companies. I guess the worst part about moving to them from your current Daseke family company is you'll probably still end up with the same crap "self funded" insurance as the rest of us Daseke adoptees.

8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I ran with Builders for around three years. In that time, I worked as a regional driver, OTR, and dispatcher/load planner in Pittsburgh, PA working the US Steel account.

They were a danged good outfit to work with. I started at 27% and left at 29% pay, the insurance was affordable, and hometime was well within reasonable. The office staff were easy to get along with, every driver had an assigned dispatcher, and the load planners in Memphis each had an assigned region.

BTC joined the ranks of my favorite carriers to work with. I made a very good living while I was with them, and had time to actually enjoy life. They were my second flatbed carrier, and I learned quite a bit during my time with them. They had a solid base of steel and pipe freight, and plenty of more interesting stuff for when I got bored.

Yes, they were very safety conscious, bit I never found them to be overbearing about it.

My only major complaint with them were those God-awful base spec Mack seats. I liked the Mack Pinnacle (I should, I drove three of the buggers), but those seats were the hands down most uncomfortable seats on the market!

Good carrier to work for, if you can work around the ups and downs of flatbed freight and are willing to adapt to current market by moving to the better paying lanes (and possibly sacrificing home time in the process).

I left because they kept sending me to New England. As in on an almost weekly basis, despite my complaints. The rates going into New England were marginal at best, and I was normally deadheading back out to grab cheap port freight out of the Philly area. I finally had enough of New England, and set off in search of a carrier that never heard of that region of the country.

Over all, a decent carrier to work for as long as you don't live too close to the New York state line.

All of this is, of course, prior to the Daseke-Builder's merger.

9. asphaltcowboy4x4

Dec 22, 2018
    You flunked a p test are you still driving? Did u smoke a little? Did you shoot a little or did you snort a little?

10. asphaltcowboy4x4

Dec 22, 2018
    How much did you make with this 27% like what was your average gross paycheck there?

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Back then, I had a marijuana problem. I was addicted. Was fired from BTC and went to work a regular job. 6 months later, 7up Snapple out of Nashville gave me a chance. About 2 months in, I had given up weed for good. I had smoked here and there after BTC, but after getting a marijuana ticket, yet again, I finally came to my senses. I paid my fines and went on about my business. A year later, I was surprisingly let go from 7up Snapple, they say I had some sort of DOT violation. Two months after that, I got on with a mom and pop company in Memphis. Back on the road. Was there for 5 years. Now I moved on to a reefer company making very good money. This road hasn't been easy, but I've done my best to make the most of another opportunity. My addiction caused a lot of problems with work, my wife, the law, just life. Even if weed became legal, I wouldn't ever go back. Its better this way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.