Driver apprenticeship programs LTL

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Kobe1225, Dec 13, 2021.

1. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hawkeye72

Hawkeye72 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Iowa
    If your wanting to go Fedex Freight. Go apply for a dock position. It gets cold and dock workers will start quitting. You will have you foot in the door. And in the spring they should hire from the dock rather than from the street.

4. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    I would tell you not to go into LTL right away unless the carrier offers a training program of some sort.

you’ll fudge some feces up doing LTL as a rookie. No one really truly trains you to back down a cul de sac or a snake shaped road with low hanging trees in a 48fter. No one really prepares you on how to set yourself up to back into a dark hole in a 53 located right off of a main road with oncoming traffic either.

John Joel Glanton Thanks this.
  5. Chellyson21

Chellyson21 Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2021
    Yellow is the LTL #####. Decent pay and miles but lacking in benefits. Estes has a dock to driver program and if you run extra board you’ll start out at .685 cpm. ABF has an unbelievable insurance package. My father drives for them. They treat their drivers right.

6. volunteer trucker

volunteer trucker Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2021
    Isn’t Yellow a teamster company?

Chinatown and jmz Thank this.
  7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Yellow has the same benefits as ABF.

surf_avenue, p608 and Dazejay Thank this.
  8. Dazejay

Dazejay Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2018
    I think you got that backwards. Yellow is far below in pay than other competitor LTL companies, and their insurance benefits are very good.

DayliteDean, road_runner and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Yellow is an upcoming consolidation between our parent company YRC, and its subsidiaries USF Holland, USF Reddaway, and New Penn. We are supposed to merge by 1/22/22.

While many of us are union, some will most definitely be non union. It will all depend what his gaining barn used to be with if he chooses to go that route.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    As a full-time YELLOW employee you’ll receive amazing benefits:
    • 100% paid healthcare for you AND your family
    • Great pay. Road drivers first year expected income $60-65k plus
    • Paid holidays, vacation, and sick days
    • Great home time
    • Company paid hotel for overnights
    • When the wheels stop moving we still pay you: hourly pay for load delay/layover

11. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Think "outside the box"...

Another great option....besides LTL....is tanker.

As a fuel hauler myself, I have yet to talk to a driver in the tanker world who felt like going tanker was a mistake.

Their "mistake"...if there was one, was not getting into tanker duty, sooner!

Hauling fuel, I routinely meet drivers for Love's (Gemini Motor Transport) at the fuel racks.

I have yet to talk to one who was disgruntled, and/or looking for another job.

Thus--I would submit, that Chinatown's recommendation above for Gemini Transport (Love's) is indeed a great one.

Another perk, with tanker (especially, hauling fuel): no backing down snake-shaped roads...or cul-de-sacs. :)

With tanker, you're through bumping docks. Period.

If you get your tanker & hazmat endorsements before you talk to any relevant tanker employers, they will understand that you mean business (but of course, you'll need those for LTL work, as well).

Bonus points with the tanker world if you have a TWIC card beforehand, too.

--Lual

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.