Driving on a Flat Tire ??????

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jtrnr1951, Jan 16, 2010.

1. eburnett24

eburnett24 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Can an oos be dismissed be dismissed or is it a fine?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Assumimg you're a new driver dredging up an ancient and long dead thread...

If they write a citation, there may be a fine attached. If they only note it on the inspection form, there is no fine...but the carrier gets CSA points for the infraction and a few more because it's an OOS. The exception only allows you to proceed to the NEXT safe place to have repairs done...no farther. Safe is NOT the same as convenient or preferred. Once you've driven past a safe place to get off the road and have repairs made, the exception no longer applies.

A scale house IS a safe place...meaning you MUST fix whatever OOS violations exist before you can leave. If you're stopped on the shoulder of a busy highway and the officer places you OOS, they will typically direct you to a safe location nearby to correct the violation away from traffic. They aren't going to shut you down and make you sit in a dangerous location where your parked vehicle becomes a hazard and traffic conditions place anyone working on the defect at serious risk of injury/death. They'll move you to a safe location and shut you down there, providing moving the truck does not create a bigger hazard than leaving it there.

Bottom line, it's a judgement call. You need to decide if it's safe to stop or if you should proceed to a safe location. Sometimes, it would be dangerous to proceed (such as if the tire is throwing rubber chunks)...but if you stop and pull that blown carcass off the rim, it now might be safer to proceed up to the next exit and stop on the ramp away from the main travel lanes on the highway...but again, proceed up the exit ramp, and stop at the top (where traffic is slowing/stopped for the intersection) or cross over onto the entrance ramp (still stop up near the top...traffic moving slower, and gives you more room to get up to speed after repairs have been made).

eburnett24 Thanks this.
  4. eburnett24

eburnett24 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Thanks
    15 years on the job new to this site
    Couple tickets in my early years but since then I’ve been good no tickets
    The level 1 inspection happened across the street from our office at the get this” brand new Dps office” go figure ,but the trooper sent me on my way and said get it fixed
    Thanks for the info and any other advice

Attached Files:

5. Camionero loko

Camionero loko Bobtail Member

May 29, 2019
    Nice guy

6. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016

They are like no one will notice so I keep going as if everything normal they are under impression that all the cops are at the donut shop and will be too busy.

7. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    They are like no one will notice so I keep going as if everything normal they are under impression that all the cops are at the donut shop and are too busy.

8. ChevyCam

ChevyCam Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    A good pre trip is key, alot of drivers are too lazy imo.

Those drivers have little regard for others on the road.

Picked up a loaded trailer yesterday with a damage tire.

The driver who left it there had no idea of the damage.

Attached Files:

9. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    I was company driver about 3 years ago and had blowout. Thankfully it went onto shoulder (passenger side trailer) and didn't hurt anyone.
    Called company and they told me to go ahead and drive to truck stop about 20 miles away. I refused to do. It damaged mud flap hanger and sucked in mud flap between tandems. Finally after arguing with them that I won't drive like that they agreed to send out service truck.
    About 10-15 mins later I see DOT pull behind me. He asked me if I called road service and took off. Later I saw him going the other way. Imagine what would've happened if he saw me driving like that.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I had a blowout on the front/left/outside trailer tire on a 2-lane road. I pulled into a gravel pull-off and removed the blown tire from the rim. Then I proceeded on up the road. State cop flipped around and pulled me over, claiming I couldn't do that. He also asked me about a dozen times for my log book (he couldn't believe I was trying to tell him I didn't need one).

He went back to his car and called his "DOT guy". 45 minutes later, he comes walking back up, looks at the other tire, and tells me to be on my way. His DOT guy confirmed everything I'd been trying to tell him, and said as long as the other tire looks OK, to send me on my way.

Bottom line, if you're actively chucking rubber all over the road or there's parts and pieces rubbing on the good tire, you'll be shut down because it's creating additional hazards. As long as it is safe to proceed, the regs allow it. Sometimes you need to put forth a little effort to ensure that it will be safe to proceed, but there's really no reason to sit there on the shoulder for an extended period of time...and certainly no reason to ask a tire guy to risk his life wrestling your tires with traffic zipping by 8" off his backside.

11. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    I run 1 home once for almost 500 miles grossing around 110k. Inside back axle on a spread axle Ravens By the time I got home there was nothing left but 2 sidewalls. Those little steel wires wore a hole in the square aluminum bumper i could put my hand in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.