Drying out a trailer

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Al. Roper, May 15, 2014.

1. Stew209

Stew209 Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    If its warm outside, just park and leave the doors open and park on an incline so if there is any water it will drain out

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    I always just turn the temp up and open the vent door in the back.
    normally dry in about a hour or so.

4. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    I am anal about having a clean, dry reefer after I unload. I feel guilty sometimes about a few wood chunks or a little debris when I reload produce, and then I am amazed when the guy next to me has a trailer that is so filthy that it looks like it hasn't seen a washout its whole life. Make fun of paper towel guy all you want, I have also done exactly that to speed up the process at picking up a load of paper.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  5. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    By your leave, guv.

6. tangerineGT

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    I am about the same way . However I do not use 5 rolls of paper towels to dry my trailer. Lol
    I can't stand to have a dirty trailer for one simple fact , if its not clean you can be turned away from a shipper .
    I had a blue beacon do a shoty job one night , so I went back in and told them it needs to be clean just like I had asked it to be . I guess the guys were being lazy that night , so they rewashed it . Lol

7. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Blue Beacon will always rewash a trailer if you're not satisfied. So, don't feel bad about asking them.

Usually, a wet reefer, just open the vent door, set the unit to 80F, and it should be good in about an hour. Might be a tad humid inside, but the vent door helps push out the moisture.

tangerineGT Thanks this.
  8. tangerineGT

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA

Yea , I guess he was the manager . The guy was very apologetic , said sorry for the inconvenience about a half dozen times. They used a brush on the floor the second time around . You could have eat in off that floor , not that I would wanted to but you could have . Lol

9. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Humidity is a pain on a reload. I'm pretty fed up with the reloads of yeast out of Laredo after delivering a frozen load the same morning. They aren't as picky as Morton's though...

10. misshome

misshome Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Spokane Valley, WA
    What I do, and it works pretty good is to turn your refer up to 80 degrees, continuous. Open the vent door on the back of your trailer so the moisture can have a way to evaporate. We all have our own tricks, I guess :)

11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Any airflow helps. The thing about the reefer when the compressor is running it also pulls the humidity out. That's what the drain tube is for as you see the water being pulled out. But there is the downside of when you shut the unit off cold stuff attracts moisture with the doors open. The happy medium is airflow, the compressor engaged but not enough to make a big difference from the outside temperature.

If you are down in an arid place like the southwest then as you say works well as the moisture goes outside. But if it's raining out or are in a humid area it's not as effective because the moisture is trying to come in. The closed door controlled environment works better. But not too cold. Just like 5* lower than the outside temp.

You can always tell when someone let ice cream get warm. Not only do the ice cream crystals change shape but ice crystals form on the outside of the package. Why? Because someone had the doors open and let a bunch of moisture run in. At subzero temps it draws moisture like a magnet if you let it. Similar to a glass of ice water attracting water to the outside of the glass.

Even when you run your defroster on your windshield your AC compressor is used to help pull the humidity out instead of just blowing on it.

Stile Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.