Dump truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jbrow327, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Jbrow327

Jbrow327 Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Hey guys, after asking about hotshot driving in the hotshot forum, I am feeling discouraged about that form of self employment. Would buying a dump truck in good condition be a better decision? Anybody have experience with that? Is it difficult to get dirt hauling work?
    Thanks.

2. "semi" retired

"semi" retired Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Buying a dump truck is not a good idea. It's very cut throat and competitive. Many of the jobs are through bid, and these guys have had the account for years, it's very tough to break into, at least it was. I don't see much of a change there. It's also the hardest thing for a truck, and you WILL be spending your weekends fixing what broke the week before. Can't help it, it's max weight over rough terrain most of the time. Plenty of company dump trucking jobs, but I'd never have my own dump truck.

tscottme, baha and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    If you are looking for a way to immediately break into the trucking industry as an owner, I would suggest against it. Work for someone else for a year **at least.**

Let someone else pay for your learning mistakes. Make sure you like the job, or at least that you do not dislike it.

If I misunderstood, and you do have experience, stick with what you know, or (again) work as an employee for a while to learn the new industry before you jump in.

tscottme, Milr72 and "semi" retired Thank this.
  4. HarleyD

HarleyD Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Twin Cities-MN/WI Border
    Where are you planning on starting. It's not hard to break into the industry depending on where you live....but you need to work for someone else for at least a season. That's the other thing to think of....it's seasonal. In the twin cities there is more work than you can shake a stick at. Tris $87 Quads $95 Quint's $99

• Draft saved Draft deleted