####ed up, now what?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mars Ultor, Dec 1, 2022.

1. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Me too,October maybe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    15B8B3FB-FBD4-4DBC-84D2-B60E640C8D42.gif

I like the laws.

Under the terms of the ADA: Employers cannot fire, refuse to hire, or refuse to promote someone simply because she or he has a history of substance use. Employers also cannot fire, refuse to hire, or refuse to promote employees merely because they are enrolled in a drug or alcohol rehabilitation program.Jul 18, 2022

As a general rule, an employer may terminate your employment (or refuse to hire you) if you fail a drug test.

Like an old boss of mine told a guy, drive a farm truck, can smoke all the dope you want.

4. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    I am struggling with should I or should I not right now. I haven't burned the devils lettuce for over 10 years now. I am on Chemo right now and that #### is no joke. There are days that I go without eating hardly anything and pot will for sure help that. Friend dropped of a bag for me and I look at it. Then put it away, I know I won't be working until April or so but eh I'll just say no for now sorry for jumping in your thread and I wish you much luck

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    That sucks. Didn’t realize you were going through cancer.

6. InTooDeep

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Yeah had a heart attack because I had a stomach bleed and stressed my heart from lack of blood. I was lucky I had that attack because that was when they found a tumor in my stomach. Found early because of it. So since it was early recovery is good because stomach cancer isn't normally caught early enough to save you. Again sorry for the derail

7. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Yeah, it kinda is.

The fact you can snort a bunch of coke on Friday and test clean on Monday - yet smoke a couple of blunts on Friday and fail a test the following Friday . . .

I’ve probably smoked more weed than most have eaten steak dinners, but rules as they are, ain’t touched it in 19 years with a CDL.

My advice would be to complete the SAP and find another revenue stream for a few years. All those ‘second chance’ companies are for folks that have little other options - and their behavior reflects my opinion.

8. Mars Ultor

Mars Ultor Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2019
    I appreciate the sentiment but I dont have any other skills. Its driving or Walmart.

9. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Real glad they caught it. Could have been a lot worse.

I felt like an idiot going for a sonogram for stomach pain - everything was ok apart from slightly fatty liver. Something just didn’t feel right but was probably just some strained abdominal muscles.

Sometimes it’s not a bad idea to go with your gut (pun not intended)

10. InTooDeep

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    There are ways for you to continue after you graduate from SAP. Sure you are going to have to eat a great big pile of #### and drive for crap companies but you can do it

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    That's the part that nobody thinks of. They do SAP and get a job with one of those scum sucking outfits that even Chinatown won't pimp for. What happens then? They get their driving record ruined for running over hours, running hot, driving junk, running however some slave driving fly by night operator wants them to run. They don't make any money and they're driving angry all the time. We've all seen them.
    Pretty soon they're uninsurable and nobody will hire them. Nobody.
    All for a little weed. No way the trade off is worth it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.