####ed up, now what?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mars Ultor, Dec 1, 2022.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    That’s what I was about to say. It won’t be fun, but if your heart is in it - go for it.

I can’t get on board with the holier than thou crowd on this one. I looked at all your posts and it seems you had your heart set on a career.

The rules don’t make sense to me, people make mistakes, and I hope things work out.

Do keep posting here on how the process goes - it’ll be real world information we rarely hear.

Thanks for your honesty too. Best of luck. B.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Copy the paranoia.
    At 17 I wasn't paranoid, Don't Bogart That Joint My Friend, Pass It Over To Me. 10 Years After (Cool Rhythms), paranoia ran deep.
    - - - - - -

"I appreciate the sentiment but I dont have any other skills. Its driving or Walmart."
    - - - - - - -
    I'm NOT Preaching, just Sharing TRUTHS!!
    Everyone has "other skills".
    - - - - - -
    CIGARETTES will soon be the next TOO BAD for Truck Driving.
    - - - - - -
    I got "high" every Day Driving OTR through just Driving OTR, because of the Experiences.
    I got "stoned" every time I took a hit from a Tobacco Stick and finally stopped last month.
    - - - - - -
    Friends don't support COMMERCIAL DRIVERS smoking drugs!!
    Friends don't support Excessively Drinking Alcohol while holding a Valid C.D.L.
    - - - - - - -
    One Has To Change Their Friends Before Appears Their New Life.
    - - - - - -
    That's A Fact Jack!!
    - - - - - -
    The part you stated about "I have no other skills" is garbage.
    Ain't No Feeling Like 40 Ton Wheelin'!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    "...those scum sucking outfits that even Chinatown won't pimp for...."

:biggrin_2559: :biggrin_2559: :biggrin_2559:

BigRedSA, Opendeckin, Badmon and 4 others Thank this.
  6. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    I am 65 and smoked my fair share and a lot of other peoples share too. I quit to drive and am lucky that I didn't miss it much ok 1st few years I missed it lol. But the anti pot is crazy I am more afraid of the drivers that watching the phones than any one that puffed after work. No I don't think you spark up a fatty while driving but after even 3 hours any buzz is gone can't say that about that 12 pack you sucked down last night. We need a roadside test for pot not a test that goes back weeks

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Smoke. The hell with the rules until you kick cancer's ###.

8. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    I was made in Ireland but born here and because so i have issues that once I start something I have a hard time stopping lol

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I'm 1/4 Irish. I blame everything on them.
    I know about the stopping. I quit the good smoke when I came home from the Army. No more peyote. No more schrooms. I put the fire water away a few years after that. Too many bar fights and too much time in jail. It came down to whisky or my family so I made a choice.
    I won't tell you what to do but if I had a tough chemo regimen and the nausea was taking control of my life I wouldn't hesitate to fire one up. Or eat a brownie. Or whatever it took. Anybody that would hold that against you is a poor excuse for a human being.

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Hey man, I relate totally. I've made the exact same mistake and bad choice since I've been a CDL holder as well. At least you had one weekend where you messed up. I legit had a problem and brought it with me to this industry. I ain't gonna kick you while you down, as that ain't my style. When you fail a random, it's career defining because it sticks with you permanently. The feelings you're feeling right now, I recall so vividly. It sucks bad, and everybody fouls up some kind of way. It ain't the foul up that's important, but the recovery is. I was lucky that I didn't have to do SAP, as I tested positive in 2011. The rules are a little tougher on these issues now, but you still have an avenue to get back. The reputable companies will eventually be able to hire you. It'll take some time though. You've decided to do SAP. Under the clearinghouse regs, that's pretty much a mandated first step to recovery. Go get that done. Also, there maybe local jobs available in your area that will hire you. I had taken a local job hauling beverages with 7up/Snapple not even a year after I failed a drug test. I was lucky though. If over the road is what you prefer, there are 1099 companies that look the other way on a lot of things, but you can still earn a paycheck and keep your skills intact. You'll need to take either one of those paths post-SAP while you clean up your record. The 1099 thing, I did it for 6 years. It wasn't the best of times but I could still make a living, get better as a driver, and take care of my family and responsibilities. There will be some BS that you go through with those companies, but you'll have a check. If you're committed to being drug free, patient, and sure this is what you want, you can get back. It took me 8 years to clean up my record and get back to a reputable OTR company, and with the hunger for drivers that a lot of companies have, I'm guessing you could do it in less. There are companies that will hire drivers if a positive test is 3 to 5 years old. There are others that want it to be 10 years old. Some just won't even touch you. The bottom line is you can get back, and your road to recovery, and it's gonna be a long one, start it now. Don't beat yourself up for a long time. Have a short memory and handle your business. You'll be fine.

ibcalm19, striker, tscottme and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    It's 2022 and I, for one, am sick and tired of this ####. We need to get rid of the ancient, outdated laws and lawmakers this is ridiculous

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.