Espar bunk heater

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Cw5110, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Cw5110

Cw5110 Heavy Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Georgia
    I have a New Espar unit that was installed at my local freightliner dealer. Im having a issue with it still. With the fan switch on full blast, it sounds as if the ignitor and fuel pump only cycle for a few minutes and then shuts off. Its still cold in my truck though. It will cycle a 2nd time and shut off again. After the 2nd time it wont cycle anymore. Its cold majority of the time in the truck. Any ideas of what it could be?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HazelEyes2

HazelEyes2 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2018
    In my bunk, the fan is a separate function. There should be 3 functions..a/c, heat and then fan. Don't turn the fan on when you hit the heat button. Not sure if you've already tried that? The espar takes a few minutes to warm up and start cranking out heat. There's also an internal thermostat in it, so keep your curtains open or anything you may have on the floor away from the heat vent because it'll just deflect the heat back towards the espar making it think it's warmer in the truck then it actually is, and it'll shut down until it gets "cold" again. Hope this helps?

4. Cw5110

Cw5110 Heavy Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Georgia
    No it didnt help. It will cycle twice for a few minuets and after the 2nd cycle it wont work at all

5. HazelEyes2

HazelEyes2 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2018
    My old one did that before it had to be replaced then the replacement espar did the same thing & they realized it was faulty and had to replace it again. Has it worked correctly at all since the install? I'm curious if they even tested it out before sending you on your way. I'd get a hold of the dealership. They should be able to have you just bring it into any other Freightliner location to get you fixed.

6. Cw5110

Cw5110 Heavy Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Georgia
    Most likely not. The unit never worked correctly once it was installed. Ive called several other dealers and they said I have to take it back to the freightliner dealer where I got it replaced. Which is where I live either way.

7. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    sounds like it not getting fuel would check fuel lines also check fuel pump it should be clicking on start up but do you have the temp set for 90 it might be shutting down because the temp setting. It not wiring cause it trying to start and running and they try twice then shut down that the way espar programs them.

8. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    They’re mostly garbage, my company is getting rid of the tripacs because of them. Mine kept doing that last couple months, especially at high altitudes, until finally they got me through a thermo king dealership, they had to do a yearly pm on it which meant taking apart & cleaning the burner & fuel intake due to carbon build up. After that it’s worked fine since... at least for now.

9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    according to Espar D2/D4 manual the units must be turned on every mount for 15-30 minutes to have glow pin clean not corroded. Every mount , summertime, wintertime...

Cw5110 Thanks this.
  10. Cw5110

Cw5110 Heavy Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Georgia
    Its clicking but will shut off after 2-3 minuets.

11. Bad Monkey

Bad Monkey Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    You might have a cracked fuel line letting in air so its not getting fuel.

Cw5110 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.