How many windshields do you go through?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TravR1, May 30, 2020.

1. Lpirtle

Lpirtle Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    For some reason, this month I went through two wendshields in one month.
    First one got hit by a rock at the bottom of it on interstate 57.. then 2nd one was on interstate 65 in kentucky.. another rock hit square in middle of the windshield.
    It's definitely unusual for me since I didn't have that issue until now.

Shawn2130, bzinger and TravR1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Hopefully not a one! That has to hurt!

4. GrumpyJoe

GrumpyJoe Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2019
    What is the last thing that goes thru your mind when tossed thru a windshield? Your ###

G13Tomcat and Roberts450 Thank this.
  5. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    5 since 2008.Last one due to a buzzard in Wyoming.

6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I do not follow close to vehicles in front of me, rock chips are not the reason, I only want to maintain distance so I can stop if they suddenly do.

It feels like I am incurring a lot of rock chips and I'm trying to understand why. My partners while I sleep I cannot control their following distance. But I do have point on my CSA for chafed airlines so I don't want another point. Just trying to get some insight.

I THINK the DOT requirement is not a crack of more than 12 inches. So if it's more than 12 I should stop and wait for road breakdown.

In your experience do you know if glue will hold a rock chip in the winter? Because I have to drive up north very far regularly.

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Had a dog house, Yes a dog house, blow out of the back of a pick-up. Hit the three week old windshield dead square. Spiderwebbed the whole thing. Not fun.

8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    WOW! Did you spiderweb your lunch into your pants? I might have.

G13Tomcat and Espressolane Thank this.
  9. gerardo1961

gerardo1961 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    miami
    Here in Florida the insurance pay every Year a free windshield for you truck

TravR1 Thanks this.
  10. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    With my FL 60 Had to replace one every year for the 17 years I ran it. Oilfield and rock trucks everywhere and still a lot of gravel roads in this part of the country. Longest time in between cracks was 11 months and shortest was 2 months from replacement. If it’s not in my line of sight or it is on right side of glass I would ride it out until the yearly inspection time for registration and replace it then. Running regional in state of Texas only was no big deal if bear said something about crack l’d say it just happened today knowing my chances of seeing same bear again is million to one odds. If it was in my line of sight I’d get it replaced sooner.
    Never had a windshield hit hard enough to be replaced in a personal car ever except a few that I restored and the glass was already bad.
    We sit up higher and bad windshield hating projectiles seem to like that altitude better for some reason.

650cat425, bzinger and TravR1 Thank this.
  11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    1997 on US 77 Texas south of Riviera going through the King Ranch and the Anderson Ranch ( the same ranch were Dick Cheney accidently shot his attorney buddy while hunting in 2006) had a wild turkey fly through the windshield. Dps bear let me drive truck up to Kingsville hospital to get glass out of my arm.
    Like Les Nessman and Art Carlson once said “oh the humanity”. “We thought turkeys can fly.”

Espressolane, 650cat425 and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.