Let's talk uturns

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Boattlebot, Mar 29, 2017.

1. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Que Pasa

Is a UTurn legal for trucks? 50 states and each jurisdiction within have laws pertaining to UTurns...

Found this from FindLaw.com

What Is an Illegal U-Turn?

What exactly is an illegal U-turn? As with most things related to the law, the answer is "it depends." It depends on what jurisdiction you are driving in, the specific statute and the specific driving conditions, among other things. When making such turns, it's usually a good idea to keep an eye out for "No U-Turn signs," though. As a rule of thumb, it is almost never permissible to make a U-turn in the middle of an intersection or street. For instance, in most states, a traffic ticket can be issued to any driver who makes an illegal or unsafe U-turn. Again, what qualifies as illegal or unsafe?

Illegal or Unsafe

In some states, traffic laws require drivers to execute a U-turn only when it is reasonably safe to do so under the circumstances (based on the driver's ability to see approaching cars, the speed of oncoming traffic, etc.). Other states specifically prohibit drivers from making a U-turn or "turning around" on or near the crest of a hill, or near a curve that limits visibility to a few hundred feet.

Still other states make it a crime to simply cross two double yellow lines in the roadway. Finally, a driver who makes a U-turn at an intersection that has a posted "No U-Turn" sign has committed an illegal U-turn, and may receive a traffic ticket and traffic tickets are expensive.

As you can see, things can get confusing fast. Luckily, FindLaw's Illegal U-Turn: Laws in All 50 States article has you covered. Refer to it (and your local DMV) to help you avoid an illegal U-turn ticket.

The next question, is making a UTurn a puplic safety hazard when a combination vehicle over 65 ft uses an intersection to turn around? Considering a 53 ft trailer will block access to the road even for a short moment, it could cause an collision with oncoming traffic due to the blind side being against the flow of traffic.

Lastly, most carriers can and will fire a driver for getting a ticket for making a U turn especially if it involves serious injuy to a person / driver plowing under the trailer making a UTurn.

According to the safety department of every carrier I drove for, It is illegal as a rule regarding a preventable accident.

I'm sure there are many qualified drivers who know when its a bad idea to block traffic because he or she missed their turn.

For me....I am no angel, pulled a larry many times over the years without incident.

Adios Mi Amigos.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    What about reverse uturns?

tinytim, DustyRoad and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^ Now THAT's okay~!!! ;) good job, man.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  6. Boattlebot

Boattlebot Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Why am I not suprised you have a vid of that?

okiedokie, G13Tomcat and scottied67 Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    There will be sirens, flashing lights . . . and a meet and greet with the local law enforcement . . .

spyder7723 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oops....:biggrin_25520:

Looks like somebody thought he could make that in one shot. :biggrin_25523:

DustyRoad and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
  11. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Tis' the season, I guess... Sheesh~!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.