Logging Sleeper/off duty, can I get a violation?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by CREnglheimen, Aug 31, 2021.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    No. They removed the wording stating all time in or on a CMV is on duty. It applies to all CMV's, not just day cab tractors.

Basically it was changed to reflect on duty to be what one is doing, not simply where one is at

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I think you're right but you're suppose to be "off duty" or in the sleeper. The whole mess is a joke.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Old fashioned log book rules still apply:
    • Line 2 is off-duty when your carcass is actually IN the sleeper berth
    • Line 1 is off-duty everywhere else.
    Both are off-duty. I have never shown a violation for a driver being in the sleeper and showing line 1 off-duty. I have, however, explained to many drivers that IF they were actually in the sleeper it benefits them to show line 2 sleeper berth - because of the sleeper split option.

5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I once had a dot officer to tell me to quit logging off duty while in truck, log sleeper, they don’t know, you could’ve been watching tv.
    That was during paper log days when dot officers could read the book, not go from some other dots officers word that thinks he’s the law instead of representing the law.

ProfessionalNoticer and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    6 years and almost never logging sleeper, closest I've come was one officer, I think in Wyoming, complaining about it, but she didn't give me a ticket for logging it wrong.

Her basic explication was that if I'm logged off duty and something happens that causes an injury while I'm in the truck, than the log can be used against me. By logging off duty instead of sleeper I'm claiming to not be in the truck.

Would apply more to company drivers than owner ops.

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Well they have to be petty now. Since elogs, id imagine theres a lot less logbook violations to write . now they go searching for technical stuff and make drivers life miserable.

I was at the peteo in spokane couple months ago at the resturant getting dinner and a landstar driver sit next to me and starts complaining about dot just wrote him a ticket for logging off duty instead of sleeper...

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  8. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I've honestly never thought of it being a big deal. If I'm in the truck. I hit sleeper. If I'm out of it. I hit off duty. Yes I know you can be off duty in the truck. But no one is going to ding you on it.

9. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Agreed. I've always operated similarly. However, when the DOT wants to find something you can bet your keyster they'll get exactly what they want. The fact that so many of the regs are written in a contradictory fashion is of no coincidence.

10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    They recently updated our Peoplenet to where it logs down to the second. I can see down the road an officer will write a warning for a 10 second violation because you came out of the sleeper, sat in the drivers seat and it took you 10 seconds to get thru the menu to change status from sleeper to off duty.

I personally still do things like I use to. After shutting down for the night, I give it a little time off duty, then go to sleeper. Then in the morning, I give it 45-60 minutes of off duty before start showing any on duty time for my pti.. I am old, so I'm not going off duty every time wee-willy needs a walk, and then back to sleeper when he's done. I accumulate all my off duty time together, and sleeper time together while I am parked. On a 34, I show a couple hours in the middle of the day for any time I spent milling around the truckstop. And if questioned about it, I just say that if it's logged that way, that must be the way I did it, and it's the officer's job to prove any different.

GYPSY65, Trucker61016 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Ummm, HOS, Volvos, and elogs are racist.
    Ban em!

Bean Jr. and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.