Probably a stupid rookie question.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Alhb54, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Alhb54

Alhb54 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Dont make fun plzz, very serious. Ive been back out for about 3 months, and I know you can use retarders(engine brakes) in the winter or rain. However, when going down a hill or a mountain in rain, what do you do? I haven't had the experience of doing this in bad weather. I know many are u are going to say brakes, but brakes can lock up in bad weather as well. Also, On mountains in bad weather, couldnt u lose ur breaks if u stay on them? I honestly slow down in rain, and plan on going slow if Im entering a hill or mountain, but how to maintain, Im not sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Iowalobertarian

Iowalobertarian Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Midwest
    Wet on anyway engine brake is not recommended, rain sleet snow ice. Engine brake gets turned off

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    I use the retarder all the time. Now that I said that, on wet roads or snow covered roads you have to watch yourself if your light in weight or empty. You can cause the drive tires to stall out if your not use to the truck. This B's of not using the retarder on wet roads is a loaded statement. Use your own discretion.

cjb logistics, MACK E-6, DTP and 7 others Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Well I'm already going at a moderate speed to begin with if it's raining. Same with snow. A lot of it is feel. But if your going down a big hill, you shouldn't be going that fast to begin with. You also need to be in the proper gear. Probably 8th, maybe 7th if you have a 10 speed. Other than that, I use my jakes like I normally would. Depending on the amount of rain, perhaps in medium, rather than high. If it's been raining, that's not as bad as when it first starts, because when it first starts, the road surface is slicker than owl ####.

If you have to chain up to go over a big hill, then you need to ask yourself " How bad do I really need to go over this hill? " And perhaps just wait.

The problem with snow, or rain isn't you verses the hill. It's the tard that's behind you, that's fully out of control, and is going to crash into you, or the one further down the hill that you can't see, that is already crashed across the road way.

See it all the time, these guys go flying down these hills, that's where I make my living, I just don't know what device they have on their trucks that guarantee's them no one has crashed around the bend.

Tbruner16, Grubby, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    OP: Are you in an auto or a manual? If auto, what year/make is the transmission? It makes a difference how one should approach the subject. I only recently moved into an Freightliner auto (Detroit) after many many decades in a stick. I don't have a lot of experience in autos but I can tell you with my configuration, you have to be very very careful about how/when/where you use the engine brake based on how I'm learning it can work.

The auto I have can decide to do some things you really don't want it to do with regards to down-shifting and maximize engine brake if you're ever caught off guard on slick roads. Best advice I can give at this point - if in an auto, forget about engaging engine brakes if roads are slick. And/or learn to get proficient with Manual Mode before things get dicey this fall.

Otherwise, use care and common sense and a very light foot on brake and accelerator, always on ice.

9. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    You are over thinking it. Take your time and use whatever will do it's job. In the bad weather I personally have my jakes on low and lightly hold the accelerator. And driving in the bad weather by your self is easy, but you take a batch of tailgaiting lunatics then the things get more interesting.

blairandgretchen and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    I just drive like a grandma in the rain; I personally am guilty of engine braking in the rain, though I'm typically alone on the road or have no one in front of me. I would say use it at your own discretion, but it's never an issue being too safe.

blairandgretchen and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.