Produce Loads

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by AchioteCoyote, May 10, 2013.

1. WallGroup

WallGroup Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Do chickens pay good prices like produce?

2. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Most meat loads I do are over 3.00 a mile .....I am trying a dedicated deal next week most of the rates out are above 4 but I am expected to dh right back

3. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    In my early years. I pulled produce of all kinds out of California, and Florida. There are many times when detention is just a part of the game. Once produce is picked, and brought to the warehouse. It has to be gone through for rotten, or undesirable produce, packaged, and then sometimes needs to be put in a flash cooler, before loading. Loading hot produce, one is just asking for a ruined load. I use to pick up at Bolthouse Farms in Bakersfield, Cal. I sometimes would sit for half a day, especially in the peak season. This is where there can be a hundred trucks, waiting for one of 20 doors available. I cannot tell you all the places i picked up at on either coast. Learn to take this time to relax. Many of the places have drivers lounges, with vending machines, television, and coffee. Wish you the best. Find what your company pays for detention time, and the pay. Most companies give the first two hours free to the shipper, than start charging after that.

Metallica88, ReeferRick and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  4. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Don't forget the taco trucks sir ...

5. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Only the real barf wagons that cooked it fresh were the best. The roach coaches were tomain poisoning waiting to happen.lol. I remember those vividly

6. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    While dealing with produce, you will want to park on the shipper's lot, if possible. With all the delays you can experience, you want to preserve your 14 hour clock. So after you get loaded, do a PTI and roll. Ideally.

A lot of produce distributors have on site or roadside parking. The ones that don't can be a serious pain in the clock.

Sometimes the schedule simply does not allow time for you to sit and avoid wasting your 14.

Learn to use 8-2 (or 2-8) splits. They can sometimes really help you if you sit off duty for a long time at a shipper.

Samuel.CapitalTravel Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    SLEEP. And plenty of savings plus mountains of patience. Certain meat plants like Fort Collins or Garden City will cut you 4 days special order while you wait on your trailer to be finished loading.

I like to get into the shipper and then sort of sit where the traffic is. Boss man comes out HEY! Oh pardon me sir, you have a door yet? No? I'll move. (Then move about oh... 45 feet and sit) Boss comes out again, HEY! Oh pardon so sorry (Boss thinking Im special stupid now...) you have door yet? 11:00 appt time here now to load your stuff.

Maybe the Boss will change colors in his face as he thinks about what to do with you. Chances are you will get a door so you can be out of the way. =) be nice. More than nice actually... too nice.

Anything less than a boss like the yard jockey come up and say get out of my roadway? What? I gots appt, where is my dock. Make that lackey go to his BOSS and say there is a really stupid driver in his way...

You will get a dock. Or you will be kicked out. Oh so sad. (Call your boss, say you have been thrown out trying to get dock precisely on time. have it in writing on your satellite... prepare for a length of time of yelling way above your paygrade. Stay patient and wait.)

Better yet, get out of grocery and get into something good like Medicine. I have said it so many times if I found McKesson 30 years ago that would be all I did.

My very favorite groceries, one happens to be Safeway NW Atlanta, bless their hearts right off 20 10 blocks south. There is a dear lady, a large formidable woman who screams WHAR MY APPLESE!!! right at 6:59 on the dot.

YOU better be there at that counter 2 minutes prior with everything in hand ready when she hollars. If you aint there you are late. And you WILL NOT be back.

Just be #### sure to get into the place at midnight prior you know already you will be up at 6;30, get your morning stuff out of the way and present yourself to the apple lady. When things are in order like that... I love em. (**Grumbles under breath...)

D.Tibbitt and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. Rieathbaum

Rieathbaum Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Leave the good paying loads to us professionals lol

9. Rieathbaum

Jan 30, 2015
    Produce can be tricky. Sometimes you can arrive and it will still be in the field.

RustyChops41 Thanks this.
  10. Rieathbaum

Jan 30, 2015
    Do not load hot produce. Make sure it' chilled first in their cooler.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.