Produce Loads

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by AchioteCoyote, May 10, 2013.

1. Rieathbaum

Rieathbaum Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Careful not to have a claim.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Many times it is a good idea to pulp the produce when picking up. Take a thermometer and insert it into the produce in the box to check temp. If it is not at a desired temp, do not load it if it is warm. This can cause claims. Be careful when delivering to Wal-Mart D.C's. They HAD a way of turning down a pallet or two of product to cut rate of load.
    Example. Many years ago when i pulled reefer trailers, and produce. I delivered to a Wally world D.C and they turned down two pallets of pork chops, because the shipper's packaging was touching the meat.

4. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    What. Am I missing something? How would the packaging NOT touch the meat?

5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    The way I read that was that the butchering facility packaged the meat somehow in open containers, and the shipper somehow put packaging material on top.

I'm imagining something like how carcasses are shipped, in big, open bins.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  6. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Ohhh okay. I’m a moron. I took it as like the cryovac packaging the individual pieces are in were touching the meat. And that’s what made me wonder “well how the hell else are you going to do it?!” You’re right.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    That is also possible. If the packages were packaged under too much vacuum, the clear plastic might have deformed down and touched the displayed meat. If you look at fresh meat cuts in most packaging, the clear plastic film doesn't touch it. The meat sits on an absorbent pad, and the plastic film is a half inch or so above the meat.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  8. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    I realize this, but Wally World used this excuse to cut rate of load.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  9. Samuel.CapitalTravel

Samuel.CapitalTravel Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2019
    Do you mind explaining what a "PTI and roll" is? Along with elaborating on what an "8-2 or 2-8 split" is? Thank you.

10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    A "PTI and roll" is simply doing a Pre Trip Inspection before you start driving.

8-2 and 2-8 splits are a bit more complex. Not something that can be clearly and concisely explained, but I will try to explain why they are useful.

At least 8 hours in sleeper and at least 2 hours in off duty status. Either one can come first.

Let's say you are delayed at the shipper. You rolled into the shipper three hours after you started your 14 hour clock. You spend 6 hours in off duty time in the truck on the dock. That leaves you with only 5 hours left to drive for the day.

You can either:

1) Do a 10 hour reset and get your full 14, 11, and 8 hour clocks back.

OR

2) Do 8 hours in the sleeper, and get PART of your 14, 11, 8 hour clocks back two hours earlier, possibly allowing you to make up some lost time.

If you do consecutive 8-2 or 2-8 splits, you will get 10 hours in breaks every cycle, BUT you do not need to also take an extra 30 minute break.

How and when to use splits is difficult to explain.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  11. Metallica88

Metallica88 Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Would you consider Freymiller or Schuster mega carriers?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.