Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    We skimmed on this privately and it is a two-edged sword. Your barn is more relaxed on the petty stuff. Mine would hardcore discipline you which is reason #3 why I quit R&L.

Now my current company that took me back is way more relaxed and I now make about $30k/year more. But just because my barn is a happy and profitable place to work at doesn't mean my company as a whole is doing well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Oh crap. They are on to us. This was posted on all entrances at work

20230419_190946.jpg

Mike2633 and Opus Thank this.
  4. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    My boss doesn’t care as long as you give him a heads up. We had some arse hat throw an entire sectional in their once made me laugh when our TM posted a note by the time clock “who put the sofa in the dumpster”.

Mike2633 and road_runner Thank this.
  5. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    2 days ago I saw Central Transport pulling triples. I thought I was dreaming. o_O

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    im not one to talk down on anyone because we all start somewhere, and I made some rookie mistakes; but I’ve seen central do some crazy negligent stuff.

I watched a central guy pull out of their yard, which is inside an old citrus factory shared by many business in my area with his landing gear down and his rear door open. He stopped and fixed his landing gear, but I had to tell him his rear door was open.

I’ve also seen them drive down i75 with their inside tires completely busted open pulling doubles. I wanna know if the guy drove into the scale because it was at exit 143 going north, and the next exit is 158 where you must pass a weight scale.

I would never work for them just based on I’ve witness as another driver on the road.

7. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    My buddy at Pitt Ohio told that they will putting driver facing cameras in the trucks shortly and also you cannot talk on the phone at all.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  8. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I officially got the shoddiest 7 months that will now make me unhireable for at least another 5 years. I am not trying to brag but looking back at things my mind is baffled by my combination of ####-ups and bad luck.

Worked 4 years at Holland with out any major issues. Then November happened.

Got laid off in November and drove 2200; miles to Montana on my last $250 and worked there on a farm 100 hours a week at $24/hour straight pay. I lasted 3 weeks.

Came back,and worked at a guard rail installation company and laated 6 shifts before I got called back to Holland.

Come end of April, R&L Carriers contacted me and I worked there for three weeks before getting called back to Holland.

Then at the end of May I was fired from Holland but I now got called back and I basically have a no choice but to ride it out and hope Yellow doesn't sink them.

I have no idea what to do with my resume.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    You're not unhirable. Have you seen who they're hiring these days? I think you need to have killed someone to be disqualified.

That is a lot of job changes tho.

Why you keep going back to Holland baffles me. Are you in a small town?

ColoradoLinehaul and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I would drop the farm gig from your resume. There's no way they reported your employment to the clearinghouse or any other verifiable authority. Everything else can be attributed to frequently being laid off due to lack of work. Just fill in all of the missing time periods as unemployed and you'll be fine.

There will be plenty of other drivers in the jobs market with a similar work history if/when Yellow finally goes under.

Mike2633, Cardfan89 and Opus Thank this.
  11. plynnjr92

plynnjr92 Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Inland Empire, CA
    I'm sorely waiting for Yellow to go under. Talk about a joke of an organization. I worked for their Reddaway outfit for 16 months and I'd never had so many issues with equipment. Trailer tires blowing out every other week, broken or missing lights, busted trailer skin, holes in the trailer floor, old 1.6 million mile tractors that rattled if you looked at them the wrong way, etc. Even had my first steer tire blow out, but I was lucky the tire gave me a warning of sorts.

On a run from San Diego to Fontana one night, the right front of my cab sank a little bit and grabbed my attention. I let off the throttle and as soon as I lightly tapped the brake, the tread and sidewall separated from the inner carcass in one piece. Had just enough carcass to maintain lane control until I stopped on the shoulder. I decided then I was only staying with Reddaway long enough to fulfill my moving intentions.

Transferred twice, from San Diego to Salt Lake, then to Phoenix. Got hired by Estes and walked my happy ### out!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.