Reefer trailers??

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by JustaGuyinTrucking, Jan 27, 2017.

1. JustaGuyinTrucking

JustaGuyinTrucking Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2017
    What in your experience has better quality, Great Dane or Utility?

Carrier or ThermoKing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Great dane and utility both very good with the edge going to great dane. Great dane a bit heavier, more likely to get 20 years out of it.

Carrier is 165 pounds lighter than tk unit, both are good units until you want to haul ice cream across hot desert. Carrier has 6 piston compressor to tk 4 piston. Carrier draws temp down faster and is a bit more fuel efficient. Carrier has higher btu rating for cooling.

I have a new one on order. 53' great dane with carrier 7500 x4 unit. Can you guess what I'm using it for.... arrives in late March or April.

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  4. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Keeping your groceries cold at home ;) Nothing like a huge walk in fridge :D

gokiddogo and magoo68 Thank this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    According to my boss and our shop, Carrier units break down less. I know as a company driver, I prefer TK simply because they're quieter and smoother. A Carrier sounds like a turbo-prop reving up for takeoff and when they start or stop they shake and vibrate worse. The TK's on the other hand are quiet enough that you aren't sure if it's the reefer running or your APU and usually only a subtle shutter when they start or stop. Although the boss also said that his Carrier salesman said that they are working on a redesigned exhaust system to quiet their units down better. Not sure if that's true or just a sales pitch to keep him buying Carriers

6. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    We've been over this time and time again---the reality is---Dane vs Ute/TK vs Carrier---is for the most part a Chevy vs Ford argument
    Ive pulled owned both over the years
    Both do a good job....typically boils down to personal preference--and the best deal you can make
    Only variable is how they are spec'd---both makes a few different levels of trailer.....

7-UP Thanks this.
  7. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    I can hear my carrier unit turn on when I'm driving, and I have straight pipes... it makes noise at high idle, but it's a strong and reliable unit!! It shakes the truck too when it starts, but little things like that are okay in my book. The lights are hard to see at times so feeling the vibration on startup helps monitor it.

Phoenix Ultra XL with 16,6xx hours. Bought it with 13000 hours.

Cooling also depends on your insulation package. I can toss 30 pallets and run at -10 without issues. Though usually keep it at 0 unless I'm doing picks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.