Tandem release mechanism wont pull out.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Midnightrider909, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    We have a newer 53 foot trailer that has the little button that you pull out and compressed air will release the tandem pins, at least that’s what supposed to happen. We are up in Canada and it is 10°F and we need to release the pins to adjust the tandems and I cannot pull the bottom out even with the assistance of a crowbar and a vice grip. All it does is hiss a little bit and goes right back in without releasing the pins. I have had stubborn ones before but usually they succumb to the vice grip treatment. This one will not. We are overweight on the tandems and cannot move the load until it gets adjusted. There are two mechanics here and they don’t speak English. Any tricks? We are going to boil some water in our coffee pot and pour it on the box around the button. After that we are out of ideas.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I don't know about air release pins like you have. On the mechanical pins, find any way you can to lock release handle in the "pins out " position. Beat on each pin after you look at them to see if the pins are centered in the holes and or are all pins centered, back, or forward in the holes. The pins that are not positioned like others are the culprit. When all else fails drive slowly on private property while as much of release mechanism as possible is in the pulled/released/slide position and make gentle turns and braking and pulling forward. Trailers can get twisted by running over curbs and one or more pins are not where the should be. For example 3 pins are centered in tandem rail and 1 pin is doing its own thing.

Plus anything in the mechanism could be frozen. I'd suggest alcohol or windows washer fluid in a spray bottle. Hot water will certainly freeze in minutes after yoyr effort. Whatever your problem now, you'll freeze something to add to problems. Good luck.

Snow Hater and Midnightrider909 Thank this.
  4. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Please tell me your trailer brakes are set.

dunchues, Moosetek13, tinytim and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    If you have the room, try driving it as is on the customers property for a few seconds to get some air flowing. Do like a circle or two. This happens on my trailers sometimes too (they have the same setup), and driving less than half a mile while still on the property almost always fixes it.

jethro712 Thanks this.
  6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You can put a towel in the hot water and wrap the switch till it warms up but hitting each pin after you get the valve working will unlock them?

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    8B34FD86-E249-44E1-86CF-48A95B20805A.gif

8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    That was my 1st thought as well...

DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  9. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    That type of slider rig may be the type where you dynamite the trailer brakes to make the slider release function, then it auto pins when you release the brakes by pushing the red button in.
    Look for a instruction decal near the slider control.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Snow Hater and Jazz1 Thank this.
  10. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Me too! Don't ask why I thought that!

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Of course make sure ou have enough air maybe rock the trailer so there's no tention because it should work.I've used those trailers and absolutely loved them.

Midnightrider909 and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.