Walmart rolls out ‘first of its kind’ 60-foot multi-temp reefer trailer

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by buzzarddriver, Aug 11, 2022.

1. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Lot of states use to allow 57 trailers
    Was always funny when I’d back in to the dock next to a 57 footer with my LTL-9000 Ford with a 36” sleeper and a 40 foot sea can.
    The 57 trailer was longer than my whole rig .

Blue jeans, bzinger, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I just don’t see this as being logistical efficient

let’s say the frozen stuff is up front and the refrigerated is at the back ,
    Or whatever
    This means that the entire trailer has to be unloaded to get to whatever product is up front .
    And that trailer has to be carefully routed to stay legal .

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  4. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

That’s why they load it according to stops. Not hard to do.

RockinChair and alds Thank this.
  5. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    No different than planning out any other LTL load.

RockinChair and alds Thank this.
  6. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    I’m sure I’ve probably seen them many times and just never realized they were longer than normal. The 59’ marking just happened to catch my attention this time.

Banker Thanks this.
  7. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Interesting this load according to stops...

Ran a meat delivery trailer route from West Point, MS to Greenville, MS , back in the 50's. They were loading stacking the various items along
    the sides (boxes of wieners, sausages, bacon) leaving center aisle. Climb in, walk up selecting all of an orders components take to rear
    door, jump out an take inside.

By the time I drove from WP to G'ville, most of it had shifted , collapsed and like in the floor harum scarum. Then had to clear aisle and resort
    enough to make up each stops order (30 lb box of neckbones,10 lb box sausage, 2 sticks of gut bologna, bucket of calf liver, etc).

I suggested, since it was usually all on the floor, why not dump it there as loaded? See; the loaders had to pick each order off the dock carts,
    and take it in trailer and stack.

So, I then stacked the tickets in reverse route order and had them put it on overnight, just piled in the floor. Got to G'ville, just open the door,
    looked at the ticket, reached up and got most of it. As progressed, that next order was right in front within reach side to side. Reefer floor was
    like 2 inch channeled aluminum and cold air goes down so all kept cold. (Usually loaded 8 to midnight and I pulled it at 2 AM.)
    After a couple of trips, I made them a list of the stops as we worked them and from then on, shipping put the tickets in that order.
    It was understood any new customers order would be loaded last. I could set it aside until I reached his store and next week list him in order.
    Lot less walking 30 feet to get a box of this, back 10 feet to another item, then back up front for another.

local439, SmallPackage and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Believe it or not , its actually easier to hit the dock just right with the longer trailer.
    I ran 57 footers for a few summers and got really good at backing them. Next job was running a fairly short Cozad RGN in offroad conditions . That thing took me forever to get the hang of even with a daycab
    That long trailer means you have really long reaction times

Savor the Flavor Thanks this.
  9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah, Wayne Daniels out of Mo. ran 57' reefers long time ago, BUT, had short wheelbase power and was still legal.

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Actually, they don't load by stop...per say. I pulled a multi-zone ltl load out of the Cheyenne DC recently. It was a 3 zone trailer with 3 stops. The back zone and the front zone were 35° zones, the middle was -20°. The 1st 2 stops had both refrigerated and deep frozen so at stop 1, they had to move the refrigerated pallets for the 2nd stop out of the way in the back zone to get to their deep frozen in the middle section, then put it back after we replaced the moveable wall.

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    They were putting the 53' decal on the trailers way back when because New York Thruway required it. Maybe Mass Pike too, I'm not sure. They charged more for a 53 than for a 48.
    When the EZ pass first came out our company wanted us to get in line to go through the manual lanes when pulling a 53 rather than just running through the EZ pass lanes. Sure we did. Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.