What are the disadvantages of being an OTR LTL driver?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by expedite_it, Dec 25, 2020.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    That’s a pretty good summary.

Different companies use different terms too - a ‘bag run’ or ‘bagging out’ were two -

‘bag run’ - take an overnight bag with you to ‘lay down’ away from home terminal for one night.

‘bagging out’ or wild solo - take your bag and see home after 4 or 5 days or when your hours are close.

Meet and turn - KCI driver and DAL driver leave at the same time, swap trailers at mid point and return’home’.

Somebody else can explain the bid process.

Then publish a book on LTL terminology:)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Not that I do LTL anymore, but I’ll take it up.

That crummy p and d driver operates in cities with short miles, higher incident/accident risk - multiple stops, for which personal skills are needed.

They can usually back and maneuver circles around your mega carriers.

Higher risk of personal injury. Usually in much better shape.

If I was hiring a driver for a rig I owned - I’d take a P&D driver with a years experience over a 5 year seasoned steering wheel holder.

4. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    That's a typical answer local drivers give , everybody knows that rookies are more inclined to have an accident . The local driver never leaves his own state, he's not familiar with being in wyoming winds then dealing with new England traffic to find parking. But the biggest biased opinion I have is there is a saying "trucking gets in your blood" if a driver doesn't have the desire to hit the road crossing state lines while sleeping in a truck. I don't think they are a true trucker in the first place . This type of industry is a lifestyle , most truckers love the freedom of the road and feel like working at food service job like sysco is just a dead end indentured servant job .

Speed_Drums and expedite_it Thank this.
  5. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    work to live. not the other way around..

6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    CC34CF5E-3258-4B09-AE0D-9CBA5033F086.jpeg

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You have a lot of nerve criticizing those of us including myself who are paid quite well to do a job you smugly look down your nose at.

Further, it is also highly presumptuous on your part for you to dictate "who is a trucker and who isn't" to those of us whose credentials, experience, and qualifications you don't know squat about.

8. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Every company does bids differently

At my outfit we have one seniority list, no rebids every 6 months, and bids cover a start time AND a territory.

Most of the other outfits have a seniority list for linehaul and another for city, only bid a start time, and those go up for rebid periodically.

I've been on my run now for 6 years and will only give it up for a daytime linehaul that I know will last.

9. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The ones from OD and Estes I've seen that land in my neck of the woods on a laydown run take the truck to the hotel.

TequilaSunrise and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  10. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    So,how many months do you have under your belt now?????

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    It became unglued on the second post. Banker answered what he thought the OP's question was, but the OP was asking an entirely different question. Then they both got snippy instead of recognizing they were talking around each other. I run into this a lot and will often make my trainee ask the same question in a different way, or ask him how he is defining a certain word. I also try and look for the question "behind" the question - ie, why is he asking this? When my guy asks a dumb follow up question, I assume something in the way I answered wasn't clear, so I start breaking things down.

I get paid to do that, Banker doesn't get paid, so I am in no way faulting his response, just pointing some things out.

It all depends.

Years ago I had a guy (Travis) come thru my truck. Travis worked in a factory for most of his life, then when the factory closed he got a cdl and drove for UPS for 5 years. Guy "retired" for a couple years before he realized he didn't have enough to support his lifestyle. He came to us because of the flex fleet - 1 week on, 1 week off. I assumed it was going to be an easy week, teach him some trip planning and company polices then sit back and relax. Boy was I wrong - guy had no clue. Turns out Travis ran from the UPS hub in the Twin Cities to the airport and back. He never had to back up - ever. Travis would pull into a spot at the hub, drop the trailer, hook to the next one, drive to the airport, pull into a spot, rinse and repeat.

We recently hired Derrick, an "experienced" local driver. He'd been doing food service, but with the pandemic Reinhart laid off a bunch of drivers. Guy had no clue about the HOS/logging, sliding tandems, and didn't get that a sleeper with a 53 is going to handle differently than a single screw day cab with a 48 footer.

It's not the type of work a driver has been doing that matters - its the quality of the work he's doing. Plenty of steering wheel holders and window lickers doing p and d work. A couple of our rookies are better hands than guys that have been around for more than a decade.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.