Few states offer the diverse geography and variety of attractions that California does. Its climate makes it a year-round destination that has everything from skiing on mountain slopes to sunbathing on beaches. A little planning is required to make the most of your stay, so it pays to become familiar with California’s regions and all they have to offer. Whether you plan to taste the wines of Napa Valley or bring the family to Disneyland, the resources of the Internet can help you plan your trip.
- Shasta Cascade: The Shasta Cascade region of Northern California has mountains, caves, and waterfalls.
- Central Coast: See the Monterey Aquarium and take in the scenery.
- North Coast: Hike among the giant redwoods and sip the wines.
- Gold Country: Visit Lake Tahoe and learn about the gold rush.
- High Sierras: Enjoy world class skiing and giant sequoias.
- Inland Empire: Outdoor enthusiasts will find a variety of activities.
- Deserts: Explore Death Valley and California’s desert country.
- San Francisco Bay Area: Cross the Golden Gate Bridge and ride a trolley.
- Central Valley: Take a tour of the vineyards and orchards.
- Orange County: Visit Disneyland and Knott’s Berry Farm.
- Los Angeles: Take a studio tour or play at the beach.
- San Diego: Have fun at the San Diego Zoo or relax at a spa.
Maps & Getting Around
- Tourism Maps: The state of California offers tourism maps for a variety of different interests.
- Driving Maps and Tours: Driving maps and route suggestions for the state.
- State Parks: California’s state parks are highlighted on these regional maps.
- Los Angeles Traffic Information: Automated updates keep you current on LA’s traffic.
- California Airports: Locations and contact information for all of California’s airports.
- San Francisco Bay Area Mass Transit: A directory for public transportation in the Bay area.
- Bay Area Shuttles: A listing of Bay area airport shuttles.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit: Schedules for the Bay area’s rapid transit system.
- Sacramento Regional Transit: Public transportation routes and schedules for the Sacramento area.
- Los Angeles Department of Transportation: Public transit schedules and trip planners for the Los Angeles area.
- Metrolink: Southern California’s commuter train system.
- San Diego Metropolitan Transit System: A public system that goes to all of San Diego’s tourist attractions.
Activities & Attractions
- Hearst Castle: Advanced ticket reservations are strongly recommended to tour the majestic estate of William Randolph Hearst.
- The California Academy of Sciences: This complex in San Francisco boasts a science museum, aquarium, planetarium, natural history museum, and a 4-story rainforest.
- L.A. Live: This new sports and entertainment district is a hub of activity and live performances.
- Carmel Mission: The Carmel Mission is the place to learn about California’s Spanish missionary past and walk through peaceful gardens.
- San Francisco Asian Art Museum: Come see one of the largest museum in the Western world to focus exclusively on Asian art.
- Disneyland: Put on a pair of mouse ears and head to the happiest place on earth.
- Sea World: Have a dolphin encounter at San Diego’s Sea World.
- Legoland: The whole family can have an adventure at Legoland.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: Watch sea otters play and become a marine scientist for a day.
- Universal Studios Hollywood: Take a studio tour and enjoy rides inspired by your favorite movies.
- Lake Tahoe: Paddle across beautiful Lake Tahoe.
- Yosemite National Park: Experience the splendor of Yosemite’s giant sequoias.
- Lost Coast: Be amazed by the scenery as you follow the Lost Coast Trail.
- Mt. Whitney: Hike to the top of the tallest mountain in the lower 48 states.
- Sierra Hot Springs: Soak your troubles away in the famous springs.
- Torrey Pines: Golfers from all over the world are drawn to this golf course in a beautiful setting.
- West Hollywood: Minutes away from the famous Sunset Strip, you’ll find art galleries, night clubs, and the Getty Museum.
- Calico Ghost Town: Visit the past and pan for gold in the remnants of this old mining town.
- Santa Monica Pier: Bring the family to the Pier to enjoy food, shopping, and amusement parks.
- Channel Islands National Park: This unique ecosystem sustains over 2,000 species, and 145 of those can only be found on these islands. Kayaking and exploring are popular activities.
- Sonoma and Napa: Enjoy the wines at the vineyards of Sonoma and Napa valleys.
- Big Sur: The accessibility of Big Sur’s natural beauty make this a wonderful getaway.
- Seeing Stars: Find filming locations for your favorite movies and TV shows.
Lodging & Reservations
- Bed & Breakfast Inns: If you’d prefer a cozy stay, look into these inns certified by the California Association Bed & Breakfast Inns.
- California Hotels: Find hotels and resorts throughout the state.
- California Department of Motor Vehicles: The official rules and regulations of the road.
- California Vehicle Codes: Codes and regulations for California driving.
- California Driving: A brief guide to California’s road rules.
- New Laws: New California driving laws for 2010.
- Types of Violations: Violations according to California Vehicle Code.
- Vist California!: The official tourism site for the state of California. Find all the tools you need to plan your California vacation.
- Go California: A trip planning resource that suggests sites and amusements throughout the state.
- California Events Calendar: Events, festivals, and celebrations taking place all over California.