Driving down the highway or city street on a typical day can result in passing hundreds or thousands of other vehicles. These vehicles can come in many different shapes and sizes, and are driven by people ranging from the student driver at sixteen to an elderly driver in their eighties. Regardless of the vehicle being driven, drivers need to be alert to the many hidden dangers that are in the other vehicles. These dangers can be in the form of the new driver that is being distracted by a text message they just received to an elderly driver that is having trouble remembering where they live.
Each of these dangers are potentially hazardous situations for the other drivers and passengers on the roadway. From a trucking standpoint these dangers are faced on a daily basis and many times at high rates of speed on interstate highways. While truckers and all others on the roadways can not change what is happening with other drivers, they can do the right thing when it comes to driving their own vehicles.
There are many things that trucker drivers can be alert to when they are driving. By following the laws of the road, not driving and drinking, not driving while sleepy and many other common sense rules of the road will we help make the roads safe. To help truckers and other motor vehicle operators, we have collected a number of useful links and organized them in several different categories. Please feel free to read the following information and refer to this page often to help keep the roads safe for everyone!
- Distracted Driving Overview – Summary of the problems along with statistics of people who drive while being distracted.
- Distracted Driving Page – Useful information from OSHA on distracted driving which contains links to publications and other information.
- Cell Phones – Helpful page which contains information on cell phones and how they can become distractions.
- Don’t Be A Statistic – Publication centering on the problem of distracted driving.
- Distracted Driving and Teen Safety – Guide for teens and how to be safe while driving.
- Driven to Distraction – Informative series of articles from the New York Times discussing the problems of distracted driving.
Driving While Fatigued
- Driver Fatigue – Information from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on how to properly prevent driving while fatigued.
- Drowsy Driving – Report linking the problems of driving while sleepy to auto crashes.
- Drowsy Driving and Fatigue – Useful page with information on the problems associated with driving while drowsy.
- Driving Dangers – Article outlining the dangers associated with motor vehicle operators driving while tired.
- Defensive Driving – Web site providing keys to defensive driving aimed at teens, but helpful for everyone.
- What is Defensive Driving? – Useful page which covers the concepts of defensive driving and why it is important.
- Defensive Driving Tips – Helpful article which lists ten tips for defensive driving while on the roadways.
- Safe Driving Tips (PDF) – Publication which provides a number of useful tips for drivers to remain safe.
- Defensive Driving Safety Tips – Information and suggestions on how drivers can drive defensively and be safe behind the wheel.
- Stop Aggressive Driving – Informative web page from the NHTSA which provides information and suggestions on how to stop aggressive driving.
- Aggressive Driving Studies – Helpful information from AAA providing three studies on the dangers associated from aggressive driving.
- Road Rage – Information on aggressive driving and road rage by drivers on the highway.
- National Aggressive Driving – Web site providing an overview of the problems of aggressive driving and how it can be stopped.
Drinking and Driving
- Driving and Driving – Informative page from the CDC providing a summary of the dangers of drinking and driving.
- Drinking and Driving Information – Useful information from PBS on the problems of drivers that drink and get behind the wheel.
- Teen Drinking and Driving – Fox News article showing how that because of education the instances of teens drinking and driving are down.
- Drinking and Driving – Helpful site which gives readers an overview of the problems on the road of drivers that drink.
- Drinking and Driving Facts – State based information from the Transportation Department providing facts on drinking and driving.
- MADD Statistics – Information and statistics on driving and driving from Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
General Safe Driving Information
- Teen Safe Driver – Web site providing information for teens on how to be a safe driver.
- Driver Safety – Information from AARP on safe driving for senior citizens.
- Commercial Driving Tips – Useful site for commercial drivers on how to be safe vehicle operators.
- Tips for Safe Driving (PDF) – Article giving suggestions on how to be a safe driver.
- Driving Safety Tips – A bad weather driving guide for motorists on roads with snow, ice and rain.