09 Peterbilt 386 front end bouncing between 55-60

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Tama Mai Hawaii Nei, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Tama Mai Hawaii Nei Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV

Mines worse bobtail also. With a load you can still feel the bounce but its not teeth clattering.

I might end up going to dealer and having sensors put on the frame to find exactly where it’s coming from.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Freightliner put that lil thing in my window and told me there was a bounce in the front end but they couldnt find it..Told me next time i come back and if they cant figure it out company will get a big bill...
    In real words that ment,we dont have a clue what it is or how to fix so we are gonna bill you time for what we dont know..
    When it drives me nuts ill slow down to 57 mph...
    Kinda hopin we would be getting new trucks this spring but i caught wind that someone or company cleared out everything in nkrth america by buying 5000 trucks...Could be just bull pucky talk but i dont know..

Tama Mai Hawaii Nei Thanks this.
  4. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    So I still have not figured out where the bounce/shake is coming from. No shake in the steering wheel just in pedals and shifter no pulling. I pushed in clutch and also put truck in neutral still bounced so not drive line related.

It bounced/shook before all the work and bounced/shook after the work. So everything I replaced even tires isn't the issue.

The suspension is is a Peterbilt Flexair or Kenworth Airglide 380 if you have any ideas where I could lookl. I replaced the top 2 torsion bars on front and rear axle. The 4 from axle to just below the spring link has had bushings replaced.

I went from back to front with a creeper pushing and prying on everything, had wife drive behind me see if any tire was bouncing wobbling etc nothing.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Driveline still spins if the truck is moving, regardless if the clutch is in or coasting in neutral.

6. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Well I know its not transmission or drive shafts don't think the rear ends will cause a bounce in the front. I dont feel anything in my seat either. Its all in the pedals, shifter, and hood

7. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    How do you know it's not driveshafts? Were they off, inspected and balanced? I had a shake we chased for a year when I bought my glider. Removed the rear driveshaft and chained the rear axel up, still had it. Removed the forward driveshaft and had it looked at. Ujoints looked felt great but once on the balancer it needed one joint and the shaft balanced and the shake was gone.
    That's the only way to rule out drive shaft.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.