7/3 split question

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Dna Mach, May 20, 2021.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Your company tells you do show the pre/post trips in your logs. I have always did a good pre-trip and flagged both the pre and post trip on my logs. But nowhere in the regs does it specifically say anything about a "Pre-trip". The regs simply state that the driver make sure that the vehicle is in a safe, legal condition to operate. Can a driver satisfy this without doing a pre-trip? Maybe but probably not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    The truth is that I've never worked for a carrier that did not want the activity that required the change of duty status written on the comments. Pti, fueling, lunch break or loading/unloading. I don't think it is specifically to prove that a pti was done that they require all these other activities to be flagged too.

4. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    You are Wrong, vehicle inspection is required. Allways has been.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Nope. Show me in the regs where it's specifically required.
    There is a post trip requirement for paperwork if something is found, but no requirement the driver has to be the one doing the inspection.
    I'll wait, so far no one else has found the regulation requiring an inspection.

Bean Jr. and Mototom Thank this.
  6. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    The regulations are funny. Technically it does not say you need to do an inspection, yet 396.11 indicates that an inspection report IS necessary.

Oh, by the way, according to 396.17, a sticker regarding the annual inspection is not necessary.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    396.11, the guidance seem to hold that an inspection is necessary. And seeing that DVIR stands for Driver's not daily, the FMCSA implies that it is necessary.

Regulations Section Screenshot_20210818-213524_Chrome.jpg

ZVar Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Which doesn't require an inspection by the driver. It requires the driver to be satisfied that a whole list of required items need to work. There are ways to be satisfied without doing an inspection. The most obvious is paying someone else to do the inspection (even if it's the most absurd)
    I never claimed it didn't need to be inspected, just that the driver doesn't have to be the one doing the inspection.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    I agree with you, the language of the regulation implies that the driver does not need to inspect it himself to be satisfied.

10. MTN Boomer

Feb 4, 2019
    I posted the reg and the page # . It is on in the Geeen Book.

11. MTN Boomer

Feb 4, 2019
    You are Wrong, it does specifically say that.Read the Green Book, everything you need to know

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.