AC problem - what does this reading mean?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by PermanentTourist, Mar 23, 2020.

1. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    thats why you just do the labor and pay a shop to use the recharge machine. puts right amount of oil and freon from the start. but i would pull my on vacuum before. just incase you forgot a oil ring

StrokerTSi and PermanentTourist Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Nice. I like the pre oiled part. I'm gonna try to find one of those and then it should be pretty easy. Worst case scenario, I can always find a friendly freightliner and bother them for info about how much oil to put in. Like that one that's near St Louis and open 24/7 - usually can get some good intel from them over the phone if you play it like you gonna buy something...

Super_Trucker and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  4. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    get part number and check truck pro also.

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  5. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Yeah, you might be right. That's likely what killed my existing compressor - I kept changing condensers because my nose bug screen kept eating holes in them, and after the third one it probably finally starved of oil.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  6. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    The only annoying part about that is the absolutely ridiculous prices they usually charge for freon - like $25 a pound. Meanwhile Walmart has little 12 oz bottles for $4 each.

7. 86mechanic

86mechanic Medium Load Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Northridge, CA
    Did you add oil when you replaced the condensers?

8. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Nnnnooope. When I did the first one, freightliner told me it's probably fine because there is plenty of oil in the system. Well, the third one was not fine anymore, I guess.

At least I got real good at changing the condensers. I can do it in a 30 minute break now, including recharge.

truckdriver31 and 86mechanic Thank this.
  9. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    A lot of good points but I will add a few:
    When a compressor goes bad it often puts trash though the entire system. If you have a continuous tube condenser it can likely be flushed out. If it was updated to a manifold type they can never be flushed out. Trash will work out over time and crash your new system. Dryers and accumulators have a limited capacity. Recommended to be replaced any time the system is open. They collect moisture and are also a filter.
    Expansion valves do not go bad often but they are very difficult to back flush. If you do not flush the entire system you do not know how much oil is in the system. What type of oil and other additives are in it.
    If you do not take your new compressor, turn the outlet down, rotate it to pump all the oil out you do not know how much oil is in your system. Never trust the label.
    Thank all systems take at least 8 OZ. Sleepers require a bit more than day cabs. Those old Fredidare compressors with a sleeper took about 15 ounces. Really need to know the amount for your application. It can really affect cooling.
    I always put a shot of dye in. Not arguing with anyone but do not thank it hurts anything. Sometimes it makes it easy to find a problem.
    Just my opinion and good luck with your A/C.

10. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I will have to look into the cytrus stuff.

11. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Well, I'll keep that good advice in mind as I wait for my $50 uber ride to the Jacksonville Freightliner, because of course I put the accessory belt back on just a little bit wrong and it chunked all over the place within seconds of turning on. The learning experiences continue - I guess tonight I am learning how to replace both belts in the night.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.