Advice, please?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by brsims, Jul 2, 2019.

1. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Also true. But I'm budgeting high on potential expenses and somewhat on the low end for income. My figuring is it is better to have extra money socked away for "oh crud" than to go cheap and screw myself before I even start.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Also kicking around the idea of an inframe and go from there as well. Which would put me (I'm figuring) at the two year mark before replacing the motor with a reman.

4. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    I wouldn’t put a reman in just yet. Run the engine a bit. See if it has any oil consumption or blow by. If no, run it. If the oil pressure is a little low roll a set of bearings in the bottom end. Maybe shim the oil pump. Cummins QC has not been the best as of late. And a crate cm871 is right at 20 grand plus install. So 25 to 30,000. Parts to overhaul are 15k so I don’t know where you are finding them for 9500.

Nostalgic, Elroythekid, brsims and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Why do you think an inframe only last two or three years?

brsims and kwswan Thank this.
  6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I fully expect an infrared to last longer, especially with my incredibly anal maintenance program. Bit if I have the money to do a swap in two years, that money can sit and accrue interest until I actually do need it.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have, yes?

7. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Third party out of Scranton, PA. $9500-10,000 plus shipping with a good core.

8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Yeah, I also would just do the bearings and keep rolling.

Midwest Trucker and Humblepie Thank this.
  9. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    I wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s showing signs that it’s time for a rebuild. Just sit on your money. That’s my two cents.

Midwest Trucker, kwswan and brsims Thank this.
  10. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Those are used. No way it’s been overhauled

Nostalgic and brsims Thank this.
  11. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I'd go with that as a plan, but I have zero paperwork on this truck. I test drove the frog snot out of it, and it *feels* good and strong. But I don't want a major oh crap breakdown in my first six months because I didn't spend the money and do the work up front.

I'm still employed as a company driver, so I still have income rolling in regularly. Spend a month now getting MY truck fully ready to rock and roll while the income is steady versus spending month later with zero income, yes?

Plus, if the truck is in solid, reliable shape and I have the assurances I want for having done the work now, my cost per mile will drop a tiny bit. Meaning more money in pocket to put towards other expenses with owning my very first truck all by myself.

I will admit, there are some small concerns with finally making this jump. But I'm really excited, too. I'm just hunting out everything that could be a failure point, and working to stay ahead of them. Success is the goal!

REO6205 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.