Age question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bamamac, Jan 1, 2014.

1. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I will be 62 in 5 days and I love the daily work out..

SheepDog, Ducks and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Nope. I like to have control of my truck, and everything in & on it.....this includes log book as well.
    Dispatcher can give me my assignment, equipment owner can pay for all operating costs, then I will do EVERYTHING else....it is what I get paid for.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  4. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.

We have several of those auto 12s, Pinnacles and Visions and have driven both, kind of like them pulling tankers around locally here in the city
    But being the newer guy I wont get one, So poor me will have to settle for a 386 pete w/13sp. which I'd prefer anyways

Y2K and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  5. zincman

zincman Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Eureka, SC
    I'll be 51 in 2 weeks and have driven a flatbed for almost 3 years after coming from dry van with a little refrigerated thrown in.

I've never used an automatic transmission and don't want one. There's something energizing about going through the gears, and I've loved it for 12 years!

With my company, we don't tarp every load but I'll break out in a nice li'l sweat when I do. Come to think of it, it'll happen tomorrow as rain will be coming through the area tonight and I'll be in it for most of the day. These are older tarps and they weigh a ton. Here's hoping they get replaced soon.

We have a couple of younger guys who can bounce all over their loads and tarp it in nothing flat. I just have to be a little more careful after falling off almost 2 years ago. And if I'm made to rush, I have no problems telling them they know where they can go.

Throwing the straps is a small challenge with the wind but it's go to go over the top! And it does! And when the time comes to tighten the straps, my freight screams for mercy because those straps are tight.

A typical day has 3 or more drops as I'm local, but I still average 300+ miles daily. It goes by very quickly and I don't think about fatigue. Much time is spent walking around and checking to be sure those straps are tight; we cannot afford to have anything coming off.

Hope this helps!

SheepDog, Skydivedavec and Mr.Shifter Thank this.
  6. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    That's not too old to flatbed at all. We have guys in their 60's and 70's that do a lot harder work than skateboardin.

SheepDog and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  7. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Ok
    over 62 and still flatbedding, drive a Pete w/ an 18 speed. Auto's nothing but a pain, and allow people in trucks that are a danger in a 4 wheeler.

Work Smarter NOT Harder!!!!!

SheepDog and KW Cajun Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I love automatics! I stopped driving in September because I don't have to work anymore. If I ever do drive again, I'll look for a company with automatics. Just my personal preference.

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  9. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I have driven almost 21 years. 10 speeds, super10's, 9 speeds, 13's, and now a Volvo 12 speed auto. Just my humble opinion that way to much importance is placed by some people on shifting. This job requires a whole lot of different skills. Shifting is just one little skill that technology is beginning to render obsolete.

Chinatown and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  10. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I like shifting,,,and I feel the more technology takes out of a drivers hands the more fatigued that driver will be, from lack of doing anything.

I will be 46 in March, I started pulling a flat in 2011 and was a tiny bit concerned but, once I got doing it, I loved it. I miss it and my goal is to get back into it soon.. You will get into shape, for throwing tarps, chains, straps, binders, wood and hooking up 100 bungee's. I like work, I hate just sitting all day and pulling a flatbed is both. I feel like I did something when I go to bed at night and I sleep much better as well. My days were long but they went by fast and I was home every weekend.

Good luck to you driver and remember, you know your body better than anyone. So, if YOU feel like you can do it, you can...

11. fld

fld Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    You also have to ask yourself if you don't mind being being out in all types of weather if you have to tarp.

As far manual transmissions go, learn to shift without the clutch. To me, that's way better than an automatic.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.