Amber Triangle/Warn Engine* Indicators

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Injun, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Next time you get an oil change, if you buy your mechanic a coffee he will install it during the service. (You still need to buy the filter too though, LOL)

Injun Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

Thanks Heavyd,
    I ordered one yesterday after pulling the old one off and seeing it was plugged full.It weighed a bunch.
    The truck has 171k on it and original filter.

What would cause the code for high manifold temp? Would that filter have anything to do with it? Or an EGR issue? last time i did it was 4 days before they pulled it in a door.
    I also noticed it is not doing the DEF cleaning like it used too......dang EGR crap!
    The light comes on if i'm hammering hard on it......75 mph or higher is usually when it pops on.Engine coolant temp is normal though.....

4. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    The filter will cause the light to come on under a load due to high crankcase pressure.

As for the DPF, it shouldn't need to be pulled and cleaned until 250K miles. If the system is firing off more often than "normal," then it might need cleaning early. If you're losing coolant, but can't find leaks, your EGR cooler might be going out, which sends coolant through the DPF. Not a good thing.

Your sensors might need to be replaced or you might have water or condensation getting into the connection between the two halves of the DPF wiring harness. Pull the connection apart and see if it's damp. If it is, spray it with electronic cleaner/dryer and let it sit for about 10 minutes, then put it back together and seal it with silicon. Sensors and wiring harness should be covered under warranty.

Additionally, if the cooler is going out and has fouled your DPF, all of that should be covered, too.

If the DPF needs to be cleaned and a warranty issue isn't what caused it, it will run $350 to $400 to pull it and clean it. Still, it's better than $1,800 (or more) to replace it.

Yeah, I know I'm not HeavyD. But this is personal experience talking here.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  5. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    If you're talking about the high exhaust temp light, it comes on when your DPF is in process of burning off and you slow down below ...20?mph. It's just to let you know to not park under a tree or overhang of some kind. Your exhaust will be pumping out at over 1,500*F from the top of your stack. That one is nothing to worry about. That light (looks like a puff of wind with a thermometer by it) is not a "code." It is merely a notification of high exhaust temp. It means your DPF is working as designed.

However, if your mechanic hooks the computer up to it and it is actually throwing a code for high manifold temp, you will need to discuss that with the mechanic.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The code is usually in error. Chances are you need the intake manifold/pressure sensor cleaned. (They are the same sensor). They are prone to plugging up with carbon. Same for the EGR differential pressure sensing tubes. With these plugged it throws everything out of wack. Also, if you are loosing coolant, they will carbon up even quicker. EGR coolers failing and leaking coolant through the exhaust is very very common on these engines. If your engine is still under warranty all the cleaning is done as part of it. They know that leaking coolers plug up everything so they take apart all the EGR tubes and clean them out. They will also do forced regen for you to burn out any coolant contamination.

Injun Thanks this.
  7. EZ Money

Thanks for all the help Heavyd and Injun,

My last service they plugged into it and told me it was the high manifold pressure that was setting off the engine warn light.
    They cleared the code and it lasted for about 100 miles before it came back on.
    The warning light goes off after the truck is shut down for a few minutes just to come back on in usually 50 miles or so.

The exhaust temp light does not come on near as often as it used to.
    Makes me wonder if the exhaust filter is even working.

A few months ago the Cummins dealer did a forced regen on the filter and it straightened out for about 50k miles.

I was running through the mountains on I-40 the other day and it rolled white smoke for a good 30 minutes without the High exhaust temp light on......Strange.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    White smoke is common with coolant being burnt.

Injun Thanks this.
  9. EZ Money

Thanks,It goes in the shop later this week so i will have them pull that sensor.
    If it is the one on top of the manifold i may pull it myself today and clean it.

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The manifold pressure/temp sensor will have a 4 wire connector going to it. It is held in with only 1 bolt that takes a 10mm socket. The sensor comes out by going straight up with it. It will be kinda stuck so you will have to wiggle and twist it back and forth as you pull up. It is plastic so don't be too rough with it. Once it is out you will see what it look likes and how much carbon is on it. Just use a small pick or mini screw driver to gently clean out the carbon. The temp probe in the middle of the little plastic cage section so be careful not to damage it. The pressure sensor part is in the base and you can't get in there with anything. I just use compressed air to blow it out after the main carbon is scraped away. As I mentioned there is a plastic cage, with all the carbon scrapped out you should be able to see through it and see the temp probe. This is the best picture I found of one, and it is plugged too.

Attached Files:

Injun Thanks this.
  11. EZ Money

Good deal,Thanks Heavyd!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.