Automatic Transmissions

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by OzzyOKC, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    When, and if, I ever buy new again, I am giving serious thought to the Allison TC 10 TS automatic. Full, true, automatics were never the greatest thing in OTR trucks and had a definite place in some applications. But the numbers and results I have seen from the TC 10 are that they are giving the various auto shift trans a run for their money in traditional OTR type of setups. Allison has been at this game longer than anyone, so they have a pretty good reputation that makes considering their new trans a serious possibility.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel...e-allisons-tc10-is-a-future-tense-tranny.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip1C6AEo3f8

This is impressive comparison....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbmBvTnrZMw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUsOpBaoneUxQfNp5cQ0AGJQ

this ought to show that the Allison can take a lot of heavy haul work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO_Rocwi-ys&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLEB48AF7D2B209608

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    I used to think the same way.

Then I drove one. Then I bought one.

4. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    Manual is more fun to play with tranny than auto with control module.

5. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    Oh, I don't disagree. In fact, I never even drove a truck with an auto until less than a year ago. However; once I drove one, I found I liked it. Sure, there's a tradeoff, like the fact there's less control of the trans with an auto. I've become okay with it, though.

6. russtrucker

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    The repairs cost more than manual.

7. brianv31

brianv31 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2010
    IL I-74 mile 149
    This isn't a manual trans. vs. auto thread. Go crusade for gear jammers somewhere else.

flood, Joetro, truckon and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. russtrucker

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
  9. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Quit beating the crap out of a transmission and you wouldn't know the cost difference. :) Seriously, there are other aspects to repairs than just the transmission itself. Autos do have a very good reputation of protecting other components in the drive train. The smoother shifting they do reduces strain on carrier bearings, knuckles, and stressing rear differentials. Sure, in the hands of a true master, the wear differences are nominal between the two different transmissions, but as we are all aware, there are darn few master drivers out here. Just watching drivers go drive around a truck stop lot proves my point. And some drivers have proven themselves over the years that they feel no need to boost their machismo by only using a manual trans. They feel like they have paid their dues and now it is time to take advantage of technology and make the job easier on themselves.

You can get your jollies "playing" with a manual to your heart's content. After several decades of doing this, I am ready for a more relaxed experience driving. That is why, if I buy new again, I am seriously considering the Allison. I want to feel like I am driving my Silverado, not a semi. Just getting lazy in my old age, but I have paid my dues, so I don't need to prove myself.

JarradS and Joetro Thank this.
  10. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I love my Allison in the Los Angeles traffic. If you get one you need to read the operators manual. The Allison's work good in most any application if the truck is specified correctly and the transmission is set up right. Mine is set up per the book but I do not like one of the shift points because when the trans shifts the engine is at the bottom end of the torque curve. So I manually shift the last gear until the next service and I will have the issue corrected at that time.

Cowpie1 Thanks this.
  11. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    When I financed my truck 3yrs ago, the financed company told me . By me picking out an auto it made financing easier , than manual. I bought a 06 international 9400, for 23k and I got a 2yr warranty that cost 2k. So, I finance 25k. I don't know if its some truth in that. It was my first purchase of a commercial vehicle.

Cowpie1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.