Automatic vs. Standard

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Diesel, Feb 9, 2007.

1. joettanne

joettanne Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    True. These computers are great until they malfunction. Like the time the computer 'malfunctioned' in my truck. Shut the fuel off to the injectors and that was it. No way the truck was going anywhere. Took the dealership 2 days to sort that out.
    And the time a fellow I know bought a new school bus. The computer sent the wrong message to the Auto transmission and locked the transmission up when he was driving down the road. New transmission later, it was fixed.
    Not much we can do about it anymore. Everything is computerized in the cars, trucks, etc.
    The one thing that concerns me is the amount of salt that is used on the roads here. It rusts and corrodes the wiring.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bandit24

bandit24 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Near Charlottesville, VA
    I owned a Freightliner FL112 with an Easton 10 speed auto shift. I did not have to down shift, the transmission downshifted itself. On my truck I could choose to manually shift if needed to but the computer still controlled when it actually shifted so that NO damage could occur to the tranny.

I originally posted this thread to mainly see if there was a viable outlet to join the trucking industry with being disabled. Even with the LOSS of use of my right arm, I can still drive a big truck. Now whether there are other situations that would cause me problems, that is what I'm hoping to find out. In the almost 3 years that I drove my Freightliner Toterhome, I didn't come across anything that I could not accomplish. Not sure how Trucking Companies will look at my situation since, all my freight MUST be "NO Touch" and I can ONLY drive Auto-shifts. I have a CB radio that has been set up to work with a headset and mic, as well as a floor button to key the mic... that works great if i do say so myself, LOL.

4. ZManTransAm

ZManTransAm Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2007
    You know Cymerax, I've seen people put that kind of faith into computers before only to be let down big time. And no, my car is not automatic. Every car that my family has ever owned that was automatic had major transmission problems which cost a couple thousand dollars to fix. And sure a few companies like US Xpress and PAM Transports have switched to autoshifts and won't go back, but I've been hearing plenty of stories similar to what joettanne and notarps4me said. I've also heard plenty of stories about companies trying out autoshifts, not being too pleased with them. And I don't know about anyone else but personally, I pay attention to my driving better when I have to shift gears because I'm a little more active then I am with an autoshift. And I've never experienced any drivetrain problems in a manual save for one time when a mechanic didn't put my driveshaft back together correctly once, but that was the fault of the mechanic, not the way I shift gears. Automatics and autoshifts should be reserved for the disabled like bandit24. Otherwise, the only reason to have one is laziness.

5. LaPurr

LaPurr Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I have been driving autoshift trucks for about 7 years now. Back in the earlier days, they did have alot of problems, x/y shifter going bad, low high switch not engaging, etc. But the technology for these have come along way. My current truck, a 04 Volvo 780 Autoshift with 500k has not had a single problem with the tranny. Still on its original clutch, and geting 6.5 mpg pulling constant heavy loads.

in my opnion in comes down in a completely diferent set of terms...

Most of the old timer drivers are more afraid, or not acustomed to, the technology, whereas the new drivers (green horns) are raised around the technology. I live in both worlds for this. I am a ASE certified Mechanic, and also a Microsoft/Cysco/Novel certified tech. As well as having credits in Psychotherapy. I have driven tri, quads, 18s, 13s, suicides, autoshift, and ultrashifts. And out of all these and more, I would gladly take a Autoshift (3 pedal) over any of the transmissions on the road. They do get better fuel milage, I can, and have, out accelerated any equally loaded truck, out pull any equally loaded truck. You can skip shift an auto, up or down, to the gears you want. The jakes worh the same as a standard tranny. I love sitting in traffic, and just relaxing, listening to a audiobook, and looking at the seat covers without having to worry about a single gear. I love listening to these old timers complain about us "new drivers" that cant drive a truck cause its a automatic. Guess what "dude!". We do the same job, we get paid the same green money, we pay the same taxes, I just dont have carpel tunnel syndrome when i get older.

As for the driver looking for a company that will hire a handicapped driver, thats the reason US Xpress originally went to the autoshifts/ultrashifts, they were wanting to get a whole new crowd of driver, and thought the automatics would attract the female gender, and the phycically challenged as well. First driver only had one leg, there are others out there. In fact I think there is a company that ONLY hires the physically challenged.

6. rangerman1

rangerman1 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Cheney, Wa
    Rock on Bucky! I've been worried about that myself. I drove years on a manual, then 2 on an autoshift. Hated it, then tolerated it. Range op always was my strong point, but then, it HAS been 2 years! :-D

7. sano

sano Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Indiana
    I'm interested to see how the I-Shift from Volvo fares, it seems pretty good. It's intelligent so it doesn't start in too low or too high of a gear.

8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

I don't know I drove a smart shift ten speed for awhile and it wasn't very smart!:biggrin_25523: Stupid thing kept breaking down.

9. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    I am starting out tomorrow with a 2007 columbia,mercedes engine auto shift,never been around one in 40 years always manuals of every type. Give me a week and I will comment on it. lots of room on front floor,i do like that and no clutch pedal,more room for my 13s and long legs.

10. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Trans works great,like to leave it on auto instead of manual. Fuel mileage almost 6.5 with 46000,loaded 53 dry van,all super singles. Came back with full load,only 8000 lbs, 7.5 to 8.5, all super singles. Company claims all super singles saved them about 4% fuel. Have alot of trucks running super singles in the fleet. The jake works fine but you must manual shift down to use the jake to full advantage,but it does slow you down just like a standard. Like it so far,plenty of room for my long legs and my fingers on my right hand from holding the hand on the shifter are not sore from arthritis any more,I know you older drivers know what I mean. Our head mechanic says the trans are very dependable and haven't had any trouble with them. We have the Smartshift Autos in these trucks.

11. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Check the book on your trans, but most of them have a setting that allows the jake to work to it's fullest advantage. On our Autoshift trucks, you could pull the shift lever down all the way to the "low" position at any speed, and it would then downshift at the highest rpm it was capable of for maximum jake brake effect. I suspect there is a similar setup for yours, you just need to check the book and find out how it works.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.