Backing help

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RayBlaszak, Nov 8, 2018.

1. towmantater

towmantater Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Know a guy that used to give this same advice, about the object out front bit. He used to carry one of them tall skinny traffic cones with him when he had a new driver with him.

Like others have said, practice makes perfect. It's one of those things you just gotta do a thousand times. And if you gotta get out and look a thousand times and readjust a hundred times then do it. I'd rather you do that than get someone hurt.

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. seventhirty

seventhirty Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Connecticut ~203~
    @towmantater well said
    No matter what don’t rush!!!!

4. towmantater

Nov 9, 2018
    Exactly. I know when you go to take your cdl test and all you can only get out and look what twice? Well out in the real world you can look until the cows come home if you need to.

5. towmantater

Nov 9, 2018
    And just to add to this, I can personally say I've been to many a warehouse with a tow truck because the driver tried to rush and slammed himself into a wall.

Kyle G. and seventhirty Thank this.
  6. seventhirty

seventhirty Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Connecticut ~203~
    Very very true I don’t care who’s #####in on the radio or who’s blown the horn. None of them are going to pay for the headlight I clip, car or truck I hit! Or god for bid worse. I’d Rather take my time and do it right the first time:D

7. towmantater

Nov 9, 2018
    Yeah, exactly. My thing is safety first. Take your time do it right.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If you’re talking about doing a 90 degree turn in front of the hole then hopefully backing straight into the hole. When you start your turn will depend on where your trailer tandems are set and how quick your truck turns (or how aggressive and fast you are with the hard right turn setup). Everybody “turns at different speeds” so they develop their own point of reference over time.

With the wheels far or further back, you need to wait longer before you initiate the turn, and have more room in the aisle for the trailer to fall in line following the turn.

Having tandems moved all the way back before starting your setup makes things more difficult, especially if space is limited. In some rare cases it can be beneficial or if you have a super-short yard spotter truck it’s not really a problem. That’s why I’ll leave them slid up, get into the hole, then slide them back before bumping the dock.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    seventhirty Thanks this.
  9. mririshdave

mririshdave Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2014
    I'm amusing to listen to lol?? But thx for the compliment!!

MBAngel Thanks this.
  10. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    You are! And I love your vids!

11. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Get a job somewhere as a yard dog shuttling trailers. Work that job about 6 months and I guarantee you will be able to back a trailer anywhere you want.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.