Backing Up!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ajb1972, May 18, 2007.

1. 4seasons

4seasons Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Greeneville, TN
    That is close to the same tail swing as a 53 with the tandems all the way up. I have driven a straight truck with almost that much tail swing before.

The biggest difference that I see is you will have much less visibility in a tractor with a sleeper. In that dually you don't really have a "blind side" as you can look out the back window.

As far as pivot points being different, I don't think that will give you much trouble. You have pulled several different trailers and already know that they back a little different. If you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing you should be able to make the change easy.

As someone else mentioned though you have different places that require tighter backs than you might be used to. For example this week I had to spin a 48' around in about 60' then blind side into the dock because the shipper had no space to the left of the dock. Allot of times you have to do something other than the 45 and 90 degree back that they teach you in school.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Unidos

Unidos Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Port Orange, FL
    Thank you. Makes me want to have a camera on the blind side, lol

Have you ever had to unhitch the trailer and reposition the truck cause you just couldn't get it in there?

4. Unidos

Unidos Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Port Orange, FL
    As I look back this was really dangerous towing with an Expedition. We looked good though. Was my first trailer back in 97.

[​IMG]

5. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    why no gold spokes on the trailer? lol would of been tight if u did that

6. Unidos

Unidos Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Port Orange, FL
    Trust me I've been wanting to do it for years. That is way to much weight for the wire to handle.

7. kwray

kwray Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Might wanna trade up to an Excursion. Could be worse, you could be towin all that with a 2 door.

8. Unidos

Unidos Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Port Orange, FL
    Yep a 2 door F350 would have pulled it. Pick ups only for me. SUV's are useless for towing and have limited hauling ability

9. kwray

kwray Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Actually an Excursion would fit the bill for that trailer. They're built on an F250/350 3/4 ton frame. You only need a pickup if you want a gooseneck. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

statikuz Thanks this.
  10. 4seasons

4seasons Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Greeneville, TN
    Just once. I was pulling a 53' with a long nose Pete sleeper truck in a place that only 48' with day cabs go. They didn't think I would get it in the gate but I got about 10 feet from the dock and just didn't have enough room to get the nose by a light pole. Dropped trailer at a 45 went around and hooked up blind side and put it on in. Told the boss not to send that set up there again when I got back.

11. justanouthernewbie

justanouthernewbie Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2009
    canada
    finished school couple of months ago, but cant take the drive test due to the strike here in ontario yet. frustrating but not much i can do about it but sit and wait :(
    one of the problems of waiting is it gives you too much time to think and dwell on things sometimes .
    the problem i keep thinking about lately is my backing. during school we practiced backing mostly into phantom docks made mostly from pylons or fences or some other barrier. backing into slots marked by fences, rails, other trailers and such i had not much problems at all. the problems arose when all i had to mark my slot was a cone. i really had problems judging the distance and when to start my angles and everything. getting between two trailers, no problem. two cones? imposible. is this common or am i in need of a lot more practice? just too hard to judge that small marker and all the open ground and impossible with the mirrors.
    any thoughts on this?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.