Becoming Goal Oriented

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TripleSix, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Much more than offensive, usually.
    Maybe. Sometimes.

However, you did not answer my questions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I was also thinking there's a big difference between having a purpose and having a goal. Unless maybe phrase it the goal of my life is to have a purpose, but kinda think just living a happy life is a good goal and/or purpose. We all have a purpose and probably only a few actually have a clue what it is. As for a happy life, learned a long time ago, happiness is a mode of travel, not a destination.

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Now THAT could be one of the greatest quotes of all time!

5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Well, it is devilishly difficult to hit goals you dont have.

Most people do as a matter of fact just go through life hoping it will work out okay. This works in good times. Its not a strategy built for resiliency though.

But on the other hand, being TOO goal oriented does suck the fun out of life and makes you inflexible when it comes to either new opportunities not contained in your goalbook or even stopping to appreciate the benefits of a detour/scenic route along your path.

People OUGHT to have goals, yes, but these also should be recalibrated along with reorientation from time to time as well.

6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You may realize that the majority are not goal oriented. Beware of the crab mentality.

7. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
  8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    A goal oriented existence is fine, works for some people. Just like a budget based financial system does.
    If you are going to use goals, I think it might be useful to think of them in short term ( I am going to drive to Macon GA today, 600 miles), medium term ( 10,000 miles this month and home for my kid's birthday) and long ( Gross an average of $250,000 for the next 10 years)
    Note that these goals are specific to one activity. You would have many other goals. (I want to stop smoking by Jan 1 2022) etc.
    Make a list, look at it often, be willing to adjust it to make it attainable but challenging. There is nothing worse or more disheartening than failing goals you have set for yourself.

9. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    There goes Six telling people that it would be a good thing to better themselves and when anyone does that feeling start getting hurt.

10. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Then how do you learn from your mistakes? You have goals, you just don't realize it. This isn't rocket science.

A goal can be as simple as a one day's drive. At the end of the day, review in your head how you got from point A to B. If you had it to do all over again, would anything change.

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Here’s the problem:

Many times, we read posts of people who want to start trucking. They go to school, and then complain about how the instructor doesn’t like them. They get into a trainer’s truck and don’t get along with the trainer. They can’t stand the company that they work for because of various reasons. And they give up.

It’s a tough time. It’s a learning curve. It’s being away from the house and being surrounded by strangers. It’s riding in some other person’s truck who has completely different beliefs, ideas and values.

What’s the solution?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.